Advice about slow and heavy and new workouts

andieje

Cathlete
Hello

I have just ordered two new workouts - PUB and CTX upper body

I would like some advice on using these new workouts with slow and heavy.

I mainly weight train my upper body because I want to obtain definition there. I do not really weight train my legs as I am fairly short and they look bulky enough as it is. I do walking and toning workouts for my legs (Cher fitness if anyone remembers it - I like Keli Roberts)

I love using slow and heavy and I do not really want to stop using it. I used to use heavy weights but I did not get any shape. I have only ever gained any shape from using slow and heavy and I have weight trained for about 2 years. For example, I used to bicep curl 20kg and still did not really have a visible bicep

I would like to keep doing slow and heavy chest, biceps and shoulders (these are my favourites) once a week long term. Do you see any harm in that?

I thought for the other workouts I might do something like:

Mon - rest
Tues - PUB
wed - rest
Thurs -CTX upper body
fri - legs
sat - s&h biceps, triceps
sun - s&h shoulders and back

I do not much cardio as I walk every day (that is my cardio I guess). I am inconsistent. I go through phases but I enjoy working my upper body most so I do that the most. I have never got bored of that.

Amy advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Sounds like you really know what you want to focus on. This is good. My only concern is that since you are doing a constant rotation of pyramid technique, endurance, and slow & heavy, what will you do for muscle confusion when you platuea? I would alternate styles.

Are you going to do S/H chest?

Just a thought,
jordan

Hello

Thanks for your advice

What do you recommend to alternate styles? I presume doing the same workouts but in a different order is not enough to shock the muscles.

How often do you alternate/rotate?

Thanks very much
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

First, I want to say that you can do whatever is working for you as long as it works. Switch up when your body stops responding or you get bored. Take care to prevent overuse injury.

Second, there are many ways to use these tapes. Based on your post, this is just a suggestion:

Mon- walk

Tues- pyramid upper body (ctx) or just shoulders, bicep, and triceps

Wed- Pyramid lower body (I am not familiar with the Cher tape but PLB is great & has some good premixes. You could do only the floor work if you like or just pyramid up or down)

Thurs- rest or stretch

Fri- ctx upper body (pub)

Sat- walk

Sun- Pyramid upper body (ctx upper body)

Sun- walk

I would use CTX 2 times and PUB once per week or PUB 2 times & CTX once per week. You could add more walking or try some of that CTX cardio at the end of your upper body workouts or instead of the walking. After, a few weeks try 3-4 weeks of a s/h rotation. Slow and Heavy is more strength oriented. You can use it in splits (once or twice a week) or one upper body part per day. Add your cardio and lower body in depending on your upper body rotation.

jordan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.