Advice

Jamn

Cathlete
I have a dilemna I'm trying to solve. I want to continue challenging myself into greater fitness, however I have physical limitations. My favorite workouts are Cathe's Low Impact Circuit, Step, Jump and Pump and Cardio and Weights. Some of Cathe's workouts are two high impact for me and I need to modify. I can not lift heavier weights also due to back problems. I have had difficulty finding other instructors that I enjoy other than Christi Taylor and Cathe. I was wondering if there are other Cathe videos you would suggest. I also have Low Max and Ab Circuits in addition to the above. I like circuit workouts the best but I also like step workouts. All other suggestions are welcome!

What about LIC Low Impact Circuit? I have not done the weight part of it yet but I have done the cardio and it is alot of fun and low impact. I find it more interesting than Low Max.
Heather

Low Impact Circuit

Yes, Low Impact Circuit is my favorite. I like both the weights and cardio on that. The band work is great. The recommended weights are not all that heavy either. Any other suggestions?

Jamn: all Cathe's strength vidos are great using low poundages

Jamn:
You question focused on aerobc workouts. And you say you are limited to using low poundages because of low back problems. I just want to make the point that virtually all of Cathe's strength videos can be used using low poundages. I have been doing this, and increasing my weight loads very slowly. Cathe's videos are rated as "advanced" -- yet even beginners can use the strength videos.

Make sure you check with your doctor for advice on this. For me, I am very careful on lifts which focus on the lower back (barbell rows; deadlifts with dbs). Here, out of caution, I lighten up the poundages.

Good luck on your fitness plans!
-- David

Thanks David

Yes I can't lift heavy weights due to the fact that I have had successful back surgery. I was aware of the fact that I can lighten weight but I need to watch for some of the twists and such. I have not had any problems with my back for 20 years though. I think the reason is because I work out withe Cathe and strengthen my abs, thighs etc. I was looking at Pyramid's upper body for my strength workout. Do you think that one is a good one for me? I don't check with doctors any more for permission because it really doesn't seem to be necessary if I'm just a little careful. I tend to focus more on Cardio because I love it so much. I often do circuits for my upper body workout so I can get the cardio I crave even on strength days.

I just got the TLT set (Tracie Long Training) and love it. I'm doing a rotation of functional fitness because of a knee injury. I've also got Muscle Max in the rotation and I'm doing much lower weight than Cathe and the crew. I sub the weighted leg work for unweighted and use the resistance band for more of a standing "barre" type of routine than all of the squats and lunges. I've also been walking almost every day, and even though I'm sweating far less than doing Cathe's cardio, I am somehow slimming down. I do really miss the high energy stuff and I'm thinking of getting KPC and modifying.

I just got the TLT set (Tracie Long Training) and love it. I'm doing a rotation of functional fitness because of a knee injury. I've also got Muscle Max in the rotation and I'm doing much lower weight than Cathe and the crew. I sub the weighted leg work for unweighted and use the resistance band for more of a standing "barre" type of routine than all of the squats and lunges. I've also been walking almost every day, and even though I'm sweating far less than doing Cathe's cardio, I am somehow slimming down. I do really miss the high energy stuff and I'm thinking of getting KPC and modifying.

Yes, the TLT set is wonderful for functional fitness - and they are all old Firm instructors from the good old days.

I have a dilemna I'm trying to solve. I want to continue challenging myself into greater fitness, however I have physical limitations. My favorite workouts are Cathe's Low Impact Circuit, Step, Jump and Pump and Cardio and Weights. Some of Cathe's workouts are two high impact for me and I need to modify. I can not lift heavier weights also due to back problems. I have had difficulty finding other instructors that I enjoy other than Christi Taylor and Cathe. I was wondering if there are other Cathe videos you would suggest. I also have Low Max and Ab Circuits in addition to the above. I like circuit workouts the best but I also like step workouts. All other suggestions are welcome!

Similar story here. Don't lift heavy weights. The heaviest I use is 10 lbs. I usually use 14 lbs. on my bar. As for the cardio, don't be afraid to take out some of the jumps. I broke my foot last summer. The first Cathe cardio workout I returned to was KPC. I did the jumping jacks on my heels, but virtually no other jumps. Even so I still got a workout. So low or even no impact doesn't mean no stimulation.

You guys are so encouraging!

Thanks so much for ALL the comments. You are being so helpful. I like the idea of taking out some of the jumps and continuing with Cathe. What other workouts are most easy to modify the jumps?

Also, do you think Low Impact Step would get my heart rate up like Step Blast, Cardio and Weights and Low Impact Circuit? It is marked Beginner/Intermediate but I know Cathe's workouts are ranked differently than other workouts.

Thanks so much for ALL the comments. You are being so helpful. I like the idea of taking out some of the jumps and continuing with Cathe. What other workouts are most easy to modify the jumps?

Also, do you think Low Impact Step would get my heart rate up like Step Blast, Cardio and Weights and Low Impact Circuit? It is marked Beginner/Intermediate but I know Cathe's workouts are ranked differently than other workouts.

I don't think that LIS is nearly as intense as LIC, but it is still a good workout. Lately, I've actually been putting LIS and Basic Step Body Fusion into my TLT rotation, but not using a step, and not doing any impact at all. It's actually pretty cool. I compensate by using a lot more floor space and "bigger" motions. Instead of stepping up on a step, I step forward as far as I can without turning it into a lunge. For the moves requiring a step off the side, I just take a wide step sideways. I also use weighted gloves to amp up the calorie burn.

The pyramid DVD is great, but so are S&H and others..

Jamn,
To answer your question, I did both ends of Cathe's pyramid DVD (2/3s of each) in one session last week. And this is a good DVD for increasing strength. I also love the S&S DVD.

And I used light weights, only increasing the weights slightly. To show what I mean, instead of using barbells I use a 12 lb bodybar, and increase the weights at both ends with wrist weights. Over the summer I have increased the poundage -- and I keep an eye out for more wrist weights in stores. This week I will be buying a heavier bodybar (15lb or 18lb bar), and plan to add wrists weights to that bar.

One thing I have learned is to straighten up my back (practice good posture) in-between deadlift and row sets, in oder not to put much stain on the back. Also, more and more in life I am practicing good posture. Cathe often mentions this as an aside -- in the step and stength videos -- and I now take that advice to heart, both in exercize sessions and walking around in everyday activities.
-- David

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.