abs before working out

asianj

is there anyone that starts their workout with ab work first i always do abs first before cardio and strenth training
i guess its easier that way because when i'm always so tired after a workout my legs shake and i cant hold my arms when doing crunches so i just do my abs first

does anyone do the same
do you think i'm getting the same benefits as working your abs last?????

please let me hear your opinions/suggestions

I like to do my abs last because I get all the tough stuff overwith, then I get to lie down! It seems like a good transition to the final stretch. When a workout has abs in the middle, like Boot Camp or Supersets, I put them all at the end.

I also think something like kickboxing pre-exhausts the trunk muscles a bit so I like to do the cardio first, then abs last.

I always do ab work first anymore. I didnt always--it wasnt until PUB that I figured out that there was no way I could do that ab work after everything else! I like doing abs first now, I really can concentrate and work the muscles much more effectively, and have noticed a very nice improvement in strength.

Jayne

I started doing them first about a year ago when I was pressed for time. They work as a great warm up for upper body workouts. I love doing them first now. I also have trouble with some of the plank work after a workout cause my arms are so fried. My core can keep it up, but my arms can't!

Andrea

I always do abs last. Matter of habit more than anything. I do Cathe's older ab routines after an upper body weighted workout and her newer routines with plank work after either lower body work or a cardio session.

Pinky

I usually do them last as well, only because most of the workouts I have do them in that order. Plus, once I'm on the ground, I really don't want to get back up again - LOL!!

Carol
:)

I think myself I have also done abs at the end just by habit. Although after reading these posts....and struggling thru the planks in PUB after doing PSS C/S/T....maybe I could have done them better before working my arms? I might have to rethink. Thanks for bringing it up...:)...Carole

Nope - never have done abs first. My preferred order is: cardio; leg weight training; abs; then upper body. I like to have my abs fresh so they can keep my core stabilized during cardio and lower body work; plus, the cardio and lower body work warms the abs up for me. Bottom-Up seems to be a workable order of exercise for me.

A-Jock

I do my ab work first, because I know when I am done with all my other workout I am gonna be very tired, and not gonna want to do them then.......... Rhonda :7

Hi Asiani,

I've heard others talk about this before, although I haven't done it myself yet. I think I'm going to try abs first this week to see how it goes. I also can't do all the plank work in the workouts because my arms are too tired. And, I think working abs prior to cardio would help you be more aware of your core during the rest of your workout and possibly help you to "keep those abs tucked in" as Cathe might say!
Just my 2 cents!

Tricia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.