4DS or CTX

I don't have 4DS, but love, I mean love CTX! It was my first series of Cathe that wasn't taped from Fit TV and still use it on a monthly basis...Have been thinking about the 4DS and can't wait to hear comments from people that have both!

MJ

If you have both, which one do you prefer and why? I am trying to decide b/w the two. TIA

I have both, and I must say, as much as I like certain elements of 4DS, I think CTX is the one I prefer. I have never done the CTX system as it was originally designed (one discreet workout each day), but IMHO the cardio is more varied and challenging, you get two more abdominal / core routines than on 4DS, and overall you just get . . . more stuff.

It should be noted that the chaptering in CTX isn't as finely done as in 4DS, and the only "premix" per se is the "Upper Body Split", which has all of the upper body segments in a string. It also has all four of the abdominal / core routines in a premix of sorts as well. I must say - the plank through supine roll-up section of the core routine in CTX's Kickbox workout is one I still do at least once a week, stringing it to a full-blown floor routine.

It should also be noted that anyone touches my 4DS OR my CTX discs on pain of death, dismemberment and permanent suspension of their cable TV.

A-Jock

Oh wow, that's a tough call. I love them both! 4DS has some of my favorite Cathe weight work- you can go a little heavier on most exercises, so that's nice. It is a bit less of an endurance workout, or you can at least treat them that way. I love that the leg workout is short, too. You can always throw that one in if you need to do LB in a shorter length of time. CTX's weight work is faster paced with more reps. I also like how Cathe does the weight work in "rounds" in 4DS- you can easily repeat rounds to really kick up the intensity.

Cardio wise they are both awesome. I find that 4DS choreography is a bit more complex (the step workouts) than CTX so if that bothers you, you might want to stick to CTX at first. I guess my slight preference is probably CTX from a cardio perspective- you get more variety by getting more workouts. But the bootcamp cardio in 4DS is amazingly fun, too. So you can't go wrong with either in that respect.

My vote is that you need both! Actually, I think you do need both, but if your focus is on weights, get 4DS first. If cardio is your preference, either is terrific, but for the sake of variety, I would get CTX first.

You need them both!! How's that for an answer :p I love 4ds period and I love CTX cardio. If I had to choose though I think I'd pick 4ds.

I have had CTX for years, and on the fence about 4DS. I remember having difficulty with the cardio (most of Cathe's cardio) in the CTX series, but loved the weight work.

Do you think if modifying the cardio in either that you can catch on quick?!?!

I don't have CTX but have 4DS. Honestly I find the HIS hard and LIS is a little hard to catch on but Bootcamp and Kickboxing the DVD make it so worth it@! Having said that I have totally caught onto LIS and am still working on HIS!

I just started the weight work as I was doing STS and I can do the weights that Cathe uses but it is killing me!
The weight work is nicely set up and really works the targeted areas.

I would recommend it! I would like CTX too though!

Boy, we're about as helpful in the choice-making department as a screen door on a submarine, aren't we?!

A-Jock

I have both and I prefer CTX... I like the whole one bodypart/day workout set up.. Plus, IMHO, the cardio is harder in CTX.

I think I feel like I get a better weight workout doing one bodypart/day than doing a split...even though the CTX weight workout is more endurance, I find it more challenging.
I also like the variety of ab work she's got in the series too.

Lynn M.

I prefer the cardio in CTX and the weigh work and premixes in 4DS. I would say that you need them both! I know that this is not helpful, but honestly I use them both on a regualr basis.

Boy, we're about as helpful in the choice-making department as a screen door on a submarine, aren't we?!

A-Jock

Ha ha - that's a funny one and reading the responses, so very accurate!

I've got nothing to contribute. I have CTX but have never done it. I like the weight work in 4DS and the two cardios that are not step but step is not my favorite thing in the world to do b/c 1) I am a klutz and 2) my knees always complain.

Dumb question: where do you find CTX?

Sorry for this dumb question on my part: I have the old CTX VHS videos, and I want to buy the DVD version. Yet when I go to Cathe's "strength" DVD section, it's not there! So where is it, to buy it?

To answer Magda's question (my opinion here), the CTX "upper body" and "lower body" videos have more of a beginner's feel to them -- although advanced people can use these by upping the poundage. 4DS has great "boot camp" and "kickboxing" sections -- and as others in this thread have stated one can go into the premix menu of 4DS and do 30-minute upper and lower body sections. Also, the strength exercizes are slightly more unusual -- and this is a good preparation STS. However the CTX upper and lower body sections are somewhat longer than the 4DS sections.

I have both 4DS and CTX.
-- David

I have both and use CTX quite a bit more. The kickbox on CTX is one of my favorites of all time - love the arm drills in particular. I also like the four ab segments, which are all a good (short) length to tack on to another workout. Leaner Legs is on CTX and is one of my favorite lower body workouts as well. The only workout I do on 4DS anymore is the kickbox cardio pre-mix. I did not like HIS and LIS very much as the choreography is advanced and just not my thing. Anyway, if you have to get one, I'd get CTX (you can tell that by now in this post anyway :)

Sorry for this dumb question on my part: I have the old CTX VHS videos, and I want to buy the DVD version. Yet when I go to Cathe's "strength" DVD section, it's not there! So where is it, to buy it?
David, look under the "circuit" section.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.