Your exercise philosophy

nancy324

Cathlete
I recently saw an episode of Marilu Henner's "Shape Up Your Life" in which Marilu Henner had on her knee surgeon. The surgeon said that the best cardio exercises are swimming, biking, walking and elliptical machine workouts.

I see that most of your cardio workouts tend to be high impact. I was just wondering to what extent you consider the long-term effects of your cardio workouts and what your thinking is in favoring high impact over low impact?

-Nancy

I'm giving this the old bumpero cause I'm curious too...:D

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Hi Nancy! What a fun question. Thanks for asking. I believe exercise variety is the spice of life. I think everybody should find exercise activities they love, that feel good and natural to their body, and give them results. While I may enjoy high impact over low impact, I would never push this, or any philosophy for that matter, on anybody. I respectfully leave that decision up to each individual.

The long term effects of any cardio activity is measured by how a person has listened to their body along the way (modified up or down on any given workout over the years), the type of lifestyle they have lead as well as the environment they have lived in, their biomechanics, and their overall genetic blueprint.

It is important to also point out that an exercise that feels good for one person, might not be the best choice for another. Or an exercise that feels good or is appropriate for an individual today, may not feel good or be appropriate tomorrow (and vice versa). For example, a pregnant woman will have different exercise needs while pregnant. A person who has recovered from a broken ankle will require a different exercise program than one that was offered during rehab. An elderly person who is diagnosed with osteoporosis will require a different exercise program than before. A fitness enthusiast who has decided to enter a triathlon will require a different exercise program. A person who wants to become a competitve body builder will have different exercise needs than a marathon runner....the list goes on.

I can only hope that when a person chooses any exercise activity that they act responsibly, listen to their body, and select a workout activity that is suitable for their current needs. If they do this, they can be sure to experience very favorable long term exercise benefits.

I hope you could follow that Nancy :)

Cathe: thanks for taking time to reply to this question. I didn't ask it, but it was food for thought.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that we need to act (exercise) responsibly and listen to our bodies. I think the long term effects of high impact cardio depend on these 2 factors.

Thanks again!

take care:)
Gloria

Thank you, Cathe!! I've always enjoyed high impact exercise as well. I'm 41 now and have been doing it for years. I'm an instructor, and I always try to incorporate modifications for all of my routines.

I would often get "yelled" out by other instructors to stop hopping and jumping around so much. But, thank goodness, I'm still able to do it. It just makes exercising so much more fun for me. I imagine that's why I LOVE doing your workouts.

I agree with you 100 percent that people need to listen to their own bodies and also do what they love. I've found with exercise that if you don't enjoy it, you simply won't do it.

Hope you are feeling better with each passing day!! And, I'm soooo looking forward to Body Max II:)

Hi everyone - This was a great question. And, a smart answer. Listen to your body! I'm passionate about this after ignoring my own body cues for 15 years (and I'm just 25!). I'm in the process of discovering that my body does know best -- just listen to it and trust.

I want to add another separate post, but look out for events late February for National Eating Disorders Awareness Week: February 26 - March 4, 2006.

I think people often shy away from eating disorders aspect, especially if they're not familiar with "clinical" disorders, but EDs range a huge gamut from obsessive dieting to overexercising, to full-blown anorexia, bulimia, etc. America could "trim" down the obesity epidemic if we focused less on dieting and more on tuning into our true body signals! Different and takes practice, but definitely possible.

So, let's keep enjoying the exhilarating effects of exercise and healthy nutrition while taking care of ourselves and setting solid examples for young ones!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.