Workout Room Floor

ruthie33

Cathlete
Hi Cathe / Fans:

I've made a fitness room in my basement, which fortunately for me, is out of the way from the regular family living space. Now that I've decided I'm using it on a regular basis, I want to spruce it up and make it better. The first thing I want to do is change the flooring. Currently it is burbur carpet and as I'm sure you know, that is hard to workout on as my shoes do not move very well on it. :(. I'm assuming it is just cement underneath the carpet and underpadding as it is in the basement.

What type of flooring should I be looking at to make it more like a workout room that is suitable for doing aerobic type activity?

I also have a treadmill and an eliptical in there. Will I need to put anything underneath them once the floor is re-done?

Any suggestions???

try a search

Congrats on the new workout room!
You might want to try a search as people have posted previously about various flooring options. There is even a recommendation from SNM about a flooring similar to what Cathe uses at her gym that has a some spring in it to save on your knees and give you more lift. Good luck in your search. Deb

Here's the thread about my aerobic floor. I used the instructions that Chris (SNM) had mentioned. I don't think the links to the photos work anymore, but I have an album here that has the photos.

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230825

and the photos can be found at:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/album.php?albumid=12

(there are step by step captions for the photos if you click on each one.)

A year and a half later, I'm still loving the floor. One thing we did have to change was that the carpet directly on top of the plywood was a little hard on my feet, so we added a thin layer of padding under the carpet. Still looks the same, though.

Hope that helps!

edit: looks like the instructions for the floor aren't at that same link as I posted in my other thread. stagestep.com is where i bought the blocks, and there is an installation guide at http://www.stagestep.com/documents/installation_guide.pdf The installation page for the blocks I bought (Springstep II) is on page 13.

Last edited:
I also have a stage step floor in my workout room. I absolutely love it. I have a laminate on top of it with a layer of the underlayment stuff (I forget what that stuff is called that you put under the laminate floor). I originally didn't have the underlayment under the floor and the laminate clicked on the plywod with each step. It was really annoying so I fixed it. I chose to put the laminate on instead of carpeting because I like to turn and pivot when I workout.

Good luck,

Shayne

Thanks for all the info. I found that old thread that talked about the flooring and printed it out. I'll take it to one of my contractors from our renovation company and see what he can come up with. I think it'll be relatively easy to do and shouldn't break the bank!!! Now to decide on a nice wall mural!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.