Working out after the flu- Harvard Med Guidelines

pjlippert

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I wanted to make sure it was okay to put this on the forum. It seemed like a good guideline to share- found it on the internet, of course. Turns out both my son and I had the H1N1 last week, but took Tamiflu, LOTS of rest and fluids. The energy zap is still a killer even during recovery!

Thanks and have a great week!
Pam

Working Out After Flu
By Howard LeWine, M.D., Harvard Health Publications

Q: I’m just recovering from the flu and am wondering how quickly I can safely get back to my workouts. I’ve read that doing too much too soon can increase the risk of heart infections. What is “too much, too soon” in this case?

A: Indeed, you are correct. The recommendations about returning to exercise after illness are vague. The reason is that response to illness is so variable.

Here are some of the generally accepted guidelines.

For people who have a cold or simple upper respiratory infection without fever or significant cough, exercise is generally safe. You want to cut your intensity and duration of exercise in half. If you feel good over the next few hours, you can increase how much you do the next time you work out. However, if you feel exhausted after exercising, then skip two to three days before exercising again.

With flu or other illness that causes high fever, muscle aches and fatigue, wait until the fever is gone before getting back to exercise.

The first workout after this kind of illness should be very light, making sure that you are not getting short of breath. You will want to progress more slowly as you return toward your normal routine. If you usually exercise daily, I advise working out every other day for the seven to 10 days after illness.

Viral infections, such as the flu, can cause temporary muscle weakness. This includes the muscle cells in the heart. Exercising won’t cause a heart infection. But a heart weakened by a viral infection could be hurt by strenuous exercise. Go low (low intensity) and go slow (short duration). If you feel any shortness of breath, this is not the time to push it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.