Why gaining weight!!

crash1261

For the last month, I have been working out cardio and weights 6 days a week, 1 1/2 hours per day. cut back out alcohol, processed foods, increased protein, eating every couple hours with lots of veggies - why did a I gain 2 pounds from my weigh in a month ago? URG!!!!:mad:

For the last month, I have been working out cardio and weights 6 days a week, 1 1/2 hours per day. cut back out alcohol, processed foods, increased protein, eating every couple hours with lots of veggies - why did a I gain 2 pounds from my weigh in a month ago? URG!!!!:mad:

Oh I know what you mean, but, just think if you have being doing weights you are going to gain muscle and muscle its heavier than fat, go for how is your clothes fitting, how is your body feeling...
I have being doing STS and I notice that every time I do lift heavy I gain a little bit, but my clothes fits a lot better, and I can see those muscles popping up and I love it...
So overall you'll be fine... don't worry to to much!!

Clearly, not Cathe here. And PLEASE don't take offense to this Eunice, but I absolutley detest it when people start to work out and their weight goes up and the reason always given is muscle weighs more that fat. I would LOVE to gain tons of muscle - do you know how long and how heavy we, esp as women have to lift to put on even 2 pounds of muscle? Likely a LOT more than most of us do with Cathe's at-home workouts, esp in one month. I always tell the ladies at my gym that that is NOT a reason. 5# of muscle weighs the same as 5# of fat, it just takes up less space. So in this short amount of time you would probably not gain weight AND have looser fitting clothes unless you went really heavy and really intense.

But Crash to be honest, I think you'd probably have to give Cathe a lot more info for her to base an answer on. What kind of diet WERE you eating and for how long. And in this last month have you gone totally clean all at once? How many calories are you getting now compared to what you took in before you started working out? The hour and a half a day, 6x week - how much cardio and at what intensity? How much were you working out before this? What kind of weights, a split or full body, and how heavy with how much rest. What kind of supplements if any do you take? How old are you and do you have any other physical factors that may affect weight, lean body mass, etc. What is the timing of your nutrients and what are your macronutrient ratios? You say a lot more protein and veggies - how much and what kind of protien and what kind of veggies?

I know that's not answering your question, but there are SO many variables to be considered, esp over the course of only one month. I just don't think saying if you are now using weights that you are likely gaining muscle is realistic. It takes many women YEARS of training and food journaling to be able to gain muscle. So again, I apologize to Eunice. But it seems that more info has to be considered.

This is my fourth round of STS. I always gain 2-3 pounds during Meso 2. It usually comes off about two weeks into Meso 3. I think it is mostly water weight associated with the muscle increase. Also, although having more muscle mass will help your metabolism burm more calories at rest - I think that it takes a while to get the body up to the point where you are burning more with this kind of regimine. (As opposed to a regimine that incorporates days of cardio/weights alternating with cardio.)

Clearly, not Cathe here. And PLEASE don't take offense to this Eunice, but I absolutley detest it when people start to work out and their weight goes up and the reason always given is muscle weighs more that fat. I would LOVE to gain tons of muscle - do you know how long and how heavy we, esp as women have to lift to put on even 2 pounds of muscle? Likely a LOT more than most of us do with Cathe's at-home workouts, esp in one month. I always tell the ladies at my gym that that is NOT a reason. 5# of muscle weighs the same as 5# of fat, it just takes up less space. So in this short amount of time you would probably not gain weight AND have looser fitting clothes unless you went really heavy and really intense.

But Crash to be honest, I think you'd probably have to give Cathe a lot more info for her to base an answer on. What kind of diet WERE you eating and for how long. And in this last month have you gone totally clean all at once? How many calories are you getting now compared to what you took in before you started working out? The hour and a half a day, 6x week - how much cardio and at what intensity? How much were you working out before this? What kind of weights, a split or full body, and how heavy with how much rest. What kind of supplements if any do you take? How old are you and do you have any other physical factors that may affect weight, lean body mass, etc. What is the timing of your nutrients and what are your macronutrient ratios? You say a lot more protein and veggies - how much and what kind of protien and what kind of veggies?

I know that's not answering your question, but there are SO many variables to be considered, esp over the course of only one month. I just don't think saying if you are now using weights that you are likely gaining muscle is realistic. It takes many women YEARS of training and food journaling to be able to gain muscle. So again, I apologize to Eunice. But it seems that more info has to be considered.

Not Offence taken, You know more than I do... Clearly!!(Because I have seen your pictures and you do look great) but that's alright, we are here to learn from each other!!

The usual reason people gain weight is that they are eating more calories than they are burning off. You are eating every 2 hours-thats quite often. You may be eating more calories than you realize. And just because you are eating "good" food instead of processed you still are eating, well, food, which has calories. Your exercise sounds pretty good, so you need to look at your calorie intake for the problem.
Beth

I agree with Beth. I don't do well eating every 2 hours - even with small "meals" - I end up eating more calories than I need and gain weight. I also have problems with cravings when I eat this way. What works best for me is allowing myself to get hungry between meals (not ravenous, but definitely more than peckish). I have 3 meals per day + 1 snack in the mid-afternoon, spaced about 4 hours apart. My total when I'm working on losing weight, as I am now, is 1600-1800 calories per day. Did you know that the idea of eating every 2 hours was originally created by bodybuilders, so they could get enough calories in to help them gain weight? And now it is being touted as a way to lose weight ... strange.

Stebby

RE: Gaining... what about your measurements...

Hi, aside from checking on how the nutritional side of your program is, have you taken you measurements?... maybe you didn't a loss in scale weight, but maybe you are getting smaller... Just something to take into consideration... The scale doesn't tell the whole story...

RE: eating every 2 hours... just because you eat every 2 hours doesn't mean that you have to eat a lot of calories. I do this at work. I just follow my meal plan and allocate so many calories per meal, and don't deviate from that. By the end of the day, I have eaten my allotted amount of calories and stayed within my calorie range. I calorie cycle 1336 - 1650, so far it has worked for me.

Last edited:
Another one here that doesn't care for the every two hour meal. I eat 3 meals a day and maybe a snack if I feel low on carbs...or if I have an event that I need to load up for. A happy muscle draws in water (water + glycogen) and you'll have that pump going. When I lift heavy, I will gain a pound the next day without fail, but its a number on the scale and can't be thought of as fat gain. That's the psychological part of it. Don't let it stop you from lifting!

I tend to gain muscle easily myself, I wonder if you gain muscle easily. Also, I put on with any kind of protein powder even if the macronutrients are the right balance (protein to carbs to fats.) If you are doing too much cardio it will back fire too. Most people who are training for their first marathon put on about 10 pounds (not that you are, but I'm just making a point.)

I lose best with 5-6 days of cardio, using ckts as my weight training, and plenty of yoga. For some reason, the yoga makes all the difference.

The other thing to consider is that 2 lbs isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Weight fluctuates...especially as a woman. Mine can be up or down 2 lbs in just a few days. I tend to look at the average trend and range of fluctuation. Just something to think about...

The scale can drive you insane you know.
As far as a scale is concerned, a pound is a pound, regardless.
The past three months I have managed to change what I look like and wear smaller clothes and have people stop me just to Ask me what I have been doing to lose weight. They all say I must have lost a lot!
Now I only lost 1 to 3 lbs in 3 whole months ( 3 if the scale is in a good mood ) and because I had a crappy one, even the body fat percentage didn't budge. It drove me mental because I could see significant changes.
Finally I just ignored it. Then I got on my Sister's tanita scale and it registered a whopping 1 LB. Loss in 3 months...lol
But ...tahdah ! A 6 percent drop in body fat.
So all I can say is ignore the scale but do check in and if you do ... Use a good one and a tape measure is actually a better friend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.