Why do I have elbow pain?

ChubbyChick

I started noticing elbow pain when I started with Bodypump last fall...I stopped doing the classes quick, I asked my instructor about it and my form was correct for the bench presses (she watched me do them, that's when I feel the pain) So I didnt go back to body pump again, but this time I started to get elbow pain again after doing barbell rows with the 45 degree tilt...what am I doing wrong and how do I rehab an elbow? I know rotator cuff exercises strengthen your cuff so you can do shoulder exercises safely, but what's a good exercise to fix my r ight elbow? It only aches during bench presses and that barbell row.

ChubbyChick,

I also have an elbow problem. In my case, it's my left elbow, which gets little stabs of pain if I use too much weight on exercises like the barbell French press. I use super light weights when doing the problem exercises and add on exercises I can do with no trouble like kickbacks and dips. I am
pretty sure my pain is the result of an old smash to the elbow. Since yours is both elbows, you might have some other joint problem but I have no expertise in the area so I would suggest you consult your doctor for probable causes and fixes for the problem.

:)
Bobbi

I have had problems with my elbows (mostly the left) for almost a year now and I think it started when I was doing bicep weight training with weights that were too heavy for me and did them too often (I was trying to push myself). Mine hurts on the inside of the elbow so it's called "Golfer's elbow". If it hurts on the outside, it's called "Tennis elbow". I went to Physical Therapy for a while and both the PT and my doctor told me this is a difficult injury to heal and they have been very right about that! I still only do forearm exercises most of the time because bicep curls start to hurt my elbows almost immediately. Some chest exercises also bother them.

My advice is to go to your doctor right away. I never realized how much an elbow can hurt!

It must be tennis elbow then...I messed up, it is actually the left elbow, and it hurts only with barbell chest presses...DBs dont seem to aggravate it...it might have something to do with my grip on the barbell? Dont know...So I didnt use the barbell tonight. And I am using less weight for the triceps too just incase that starts on it too! No known magic exercise huh? Worth a try though! Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.