when to eat?

If I workout forst thing in the morning on an empty stomach, is that ok or do I need food for fuel? I usually do both weights and cardio. I drink water though, how long after I drink can I workout? Or should I have a piece of fruit first or is that counteracting my calorie loss? I always have a protein shake with a greens product and fruit afterwards.
Thanks.

I work out for a good 75 minutes in the morning (5:30-6:45 am) on an empty stomach--unless a cup of coffee counts! I have no problems. (I have dinner at about 6:30 or 7:00 pm the night before.) I am not sure about the water issue. I'd say any amount of time before your workout is fine as long as you don't feel sick. YOu are supposed to drink a little water as you work out anyhow. I think your post workout meal sounds great-some protein and some carbs. We'll see what Cathe has to say! Jeanne

It's fine to work out on an empty stomach as long as you feel good. If you eat, you need extra time for digestion. Your body doesn't immediately have access to the nutrients although some carbs are more easily digested than others. It still takes an hour or so to get to them. Since we store glcogen in our muscles from previous meals, you will actually access those stores plus some fat stores to use during your workout. If you work out over 90 minutes to 120 minutes, it might be good to eat but it's not necessary otherwise. Listen to your body. If you drink coffee like Jeanne, it actually helps to get those fatty acids released! Eat a combination of carbohydrate, protein and a little fat after you workout and you'll be fine!

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.