when to eat?

If I workout forst thing in the morning on an empty stomach, is that ok or do I need food for fuel? I usually do both weights and cardio. I drink water though, how long after I drink can I workout? Or should I have a piece of fruit first or is that counteracting my calorie loss? I always have a protein shake with a greens product and fruit afterwards.
Thanks.

Hi! If you are going to workout first thing in the morning, it is best to have something in your system. It doesn't have to be a big meal but at least something. You can drink water anytime before you workout. Best bet is to take smaller amounts (say 4 ounces)at a time so that you don't cramp while you workout. Continue to take 3 or 4 ounces every 15 minutes during your workout. Whether you have fruit before or after your workout does not affect your calorie loss situation. The important thing is to eat a food that does not make you cramp up before your workout. One of the things I enjoy eating before a workout is 1 piece of whole grain bread with a generous smear of peanut butter and 4 ounces of milk 90 minutes before I workout. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.