What do you think of this article, Cathe?

netsnotes16

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, I read this morning in "The State" Newspaper. Personally I enjoy these exercises and have no problems. Thanks for your time,suggestion(s). opinion(s) and input.

http://www.thestate.com/health/v-print/story/594040.html

Posted on Tue, Nov. 18, 2008
Not all exercises are designed with women in mind
JULIE DEARDORFF, Chicago Tribune

IF YOU HATE SIT-UPS, you’re in luck.

They’re one of the top five exercises women should completely avoid, says personal trainer Kristal Richardson. The other ones to avoid are the ones you’re doing wrong, says Richardson, a Bloomington, Ill., native and “professional figure competitor” — a division of bodybuilding that emphasizes tone, symmetry and lean muscle.

So while women can tackle the same workouts as men, their joints are generally looser than a man’s and “poor form and too much weight can lead to stiff joints or even damage.”

Here are five exercises that Richardson says women should avoid.

1. Don’t do sit-ups: Richardson says that if you lock your hands behind your head, it can cause a torque in the spine, which ultimately leads to neck pain. Remember sit-ups are different from “crunches.” When you do a sit-up, you bring your torso up 90 degrees, so that your back is off the floor. A crunch has a limited range of motion; you raise your torso about 45 degrees and your lower back will still be on the floor. Instead, try bicycle crunches, which are considered one of the most effective abdominal workouts. Lie on your back, place your hands next to your ears and start a pedaling motion with your legs, lifting the left shoulder to the right knee and vice versa. Try three sets of 10.

2. Don’t do weighted squats: Squats with a weight bar on your back build serious bulk in the rear end and upper thighs, places women are most likely looking to trim down, said Richardson, who found that weighted squats increased her muscle — and made her waist bigger. “It did not look cute,” she said. They also strain the knees and lower back. Instead, try lunges, which “don’t place nearly as much stress on the lower back and distribute the workout throughout the entire leg,” said Richardson. To do a lunge, take a long, even stride forward with one leg. Be sure to keep your knee at a 90-degree angle with your foot for support. If you have bad knees, try doing a reverse lunge by stepping backward. Try holding a lunge for a minute on each side.

3. Don’t do the behind-the-neck shoulder presses: This exercise strains the shoulders, both on the way down and on the way up. The little muscles on the top of your shoulders work too hard and become inflamed, causing ‘weight lifter’s shoulder,’” Richardson said. It also puts a lot of stress on the shoulder joints, which can lead to permanent damage. Instead, try a seated shoulder press. “Hold a pair of dumbbells overhead with your arms straight and palms facing each other,” Richardson said. “Then, bend your right elbow and lower your right arm, moving your elbow out to the side until your upper arm is parallel with the floor.” Press back up and repeat with your right arm for three sets of 12 reps with each arm. Don’t bring your arms down too low or you’ll be putting unnecessary stress on the shoulders.

4. Don’t do straight leg pushups: Push-ups are often the culprit of neck, lower back, elbow and shoulder pain. They require a lot of strength; holding your entire body parallel to the floor is no small feat and it’s easy to overdo it. Instead, try push-ups on your knees. Focus on where you place your hands to make sure you’re working the chest, rather than letting your knees support you. You can also try the dumbbell bench press instead for toning the chest and shoulders. Lie flat on your back and, with arms straight up and dumbbells in hand, slowly lower the arms to just past a 90-degree angle or until you feel a slight stretch in your chest. Repeat three sets of 10 reps.

5. Don’t do standing dead lifts: Since women are typically more flexible than men and can bend down farther, it puts even greater stress on their legs and lower back. It also results in bulky back, leg and rear end muscles. Instead, try leg kick-backs. Facing a wall, stabilize yourself with your arms and kick your right leg back as far as you can. Repeat 10 times and follow the same routine with your left leg. You should feel a burn in the back of your legs. Try two sets.

© 2008 TheState.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.thestate.com

Not Cathe, but in reading this article it looks to me like that personal trainer was just trying to get her 15 minutes of fame by saying something different from other instructors! It reads like the old "women are weak" philosophy that we have spent years trying to get past being accepted as truth!

I was in disbelief when I read that because I did Cathe's Power Hour last night, which has all those exercises in it! And if I took this advice at face value, I would have to get rid of all my workouts. And that AIN'T happenin'!

I don't think her advice is wrong--probably it's right for some folks & wrong for others, as with most exercise programs.

I do almost everything this Kristal person is suggesting, except I do straight leg pushups & I do low weight/high rep squats .

I'd be interested in Cathe's opinion as well! :)

2 more cents in the pot

Not Cathe here, but I could not resist chiming in!

I have never had an issue with any of those exercises. I don't do the behind the shoulders press - just press where I am in line with the shoulders. Perhaps this was meant to be helpful to people who have never done exercises? Even so, I think theses exercise are perfectly safe if you have the proper form and weight. I think if you practice the techniques with no weight and then gradually add weight, these exercises can be very effective.

As far as getting a thick waist and think legs from squats - I completely disagree. Seriously, when I was 25 and a size 4, I did tons of squats and I was certainly not thick waisted or thick legged. Look at the figure athletes and figure models - they are not thick anywhere!

The only thing thick I see is the author's head. I am tempted to write a letter to Slate ask her to clarify her background and experience. I definitely call into question her expertise. I think if you move within range with proper form and thr right weight, you will be just fine.

Not Cathe here, but I could not resist chiming in!

I have never had an issue with any of those exercises. I don't do the behind the shoulders press - just press where I am in line with the shoulders. Perhaps this was meant to be helpful to people who have never done exercises? Even so, I think theses exercise are perfectly safe if you have the proper form and weight. I think if you practice the techniques with no weight and then gradually add weight, these exercises can be very effective.

As far as getting a thick waist and think legs from squats - I completely disagree. Seriously, when I was 25 and a size 4, I did tons of squats and I was certainly not thick waisted or thick legged. Look at the figure athletes and figure models - they are not thick anywhere!

The only thing thick I see is the author's head. I am tempted to write a letter to Slate ask her to clarify her background and experience. I definitely call into question her expertise. I think if you move within range with proper form and thr right weight, you will be just fine.

That's why I said it could be right for some & wrong for others. My waist thickens when I do heavy squats. I stopped doing deadlifts b/c they hurt my lower back. I tried them a few weeks ago w/the master trainer at my gym (he put me through a brutal leg w/o) so I know I was using proper form (believe me, I would've heard about it if I didn't!) & the next day my lower back was in agony.

A behind the shoulder press is typically done w/a barbell and, like lat pulldowns, can definitely put a strain on the neck when done w/heavy weights.

No need to write to Slate, I googled Kristal. It looks like she knows of what she speaks.

http://www.kristalrichardson.com/bio.htm

Many authorities recommend against doing behind-the-neck pressses or pull-downs (they put way too much stress on the shoulder joint and neck) and rather doing them in front of the neck (which is what Cathe does in her workouts). Any minimal benefit to the muscle from doing them behind the neck is outweighed by the risk of injury.

Most would also agree with not doing "sit-ups" but rather doing crunches.

The caution against doing squats and deadlifts would probably be well heeded by those who are bottom heavy to begin with ('pears") as they could make that area bigger. If you're an ecto, I don't think you have too worry much. In this case, I think it's YMMV. (and maybe the author is thiking of using really heavy weights, like those used with safety equipment, and not the weights we'd use at home. Though I've got to say, my legs looked their best when I was doing heavy squatting---170-180-190 pounds, which was heavier than my own body weight by 40-60 pounds--in a weight room. Note that I am an ecto/endo...or at least used to be. Entering menopause,the endo seems to be gaining ground!)

I think some of the other recommendations are geared towards people who tend to not have good form, and/or are beginners.

Part of this article made it into our paper this morning also (Atlanta Journal-Constitution). (Sit ups, straight legged pushups, and weighted squats were the only ones they listed, with the headline "Attention Women: Avoid these Exercises". Oy.)

I don't do behind-the-neck presses, but I do all the other stuff, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

The only thing thick I see is the author's head.

LOL-- that's great :)

Id have to say that heavy squat may make your area a lot thicker.. so.. stick with lighter squats.. you don't have to aim for a 200lb squat ladies :)

I don't know a lot of your average "white chicks" that wouldn't want a thicker, rounder a** (unless Im in the minority with the "flat white butt" syndrome. Ive started really focusing on glute exercises and have seen some truley amazing results I never thought possible.. and look forward to seeing them progess.

I also really don't like the approach the article takes to frighten curious women right out of their socks-- and out of the gym!

That's all some fat or frail women needs to hear to feed her neurosis.. "don't lift weights, you'll twist your backbone and bloat out like Homer Simpson!!"

I also have to add here.. I feared leg work due to two twisted legs and two bad knees. When I tired Cathe workouts (with say.. the 40lb BB) I thought Id collapse and twist myself. I tried doing the routines with just BW or barbie db's.. when I HATED it I just stopped doing leg work altogether.
When I started skating earlier this year I decided I needed some bulk and strength down there at any cost if I was to be a good skater.
So I went on a "strength building" routine to build size and strength...
and I actually find that lifting heavier weights is EASIER for me than real light weights..

Maybe it's the pressure of the heavy BB that makes me feel stable? No idea.. but what I used to dread to the point I skipped out all together.. is now my favourite part to train!

And I have to say that in the 6 months Ive trained them so far.. the results Ive had are truley phenomenol.

[she steps off soapbox].. just wanted to share my two-cents :)

What I mainly dislike about any article of this type is the "one-size-fits-all" approach. There may very well be some who this message would apply to, since some women do have a fear of bulking. But, what the author fails to specify is, men AND women could have physiological problems with these, or any, exercises. I'm not crazy about this blanket statement that women have looser joints thus rendering some exercises out of the question. This may or may not be generally true, but isn't it totally ignoring the fact that every body is different? :confused:

Tiki Barber has a new book out and he was talking about it on the Today show and he said that squats are a great exercise and that they should be done with weights to help you with your balance while you perform the exercise. He also pointed out that women will never bulk up like men. He talked about exercise and functional fitness. It made me think of one of Cathe's statements (I forget which workout) about doing hammer curls because you lift kids with that hand motion as opposed to regular curls.

I think everyone is different and no one thing works for everyone. Just my two cents worth.

It made me think of one of Cathe's statements (I forget which workout) about doing hammer curls because you lift kids with that hand motion as opposed to regular curls.

It must be S&H: Triceps & Biceps because I just did this workout tonight and heard those comments. :D

Personally I drove myself crazy a while ago with so many conflicting articles (on what exercises are good vs. bad, which are good for each body type, etc.) that I no longer care and choose whatever I like. Even if it's not optimal for my body, I modify it so it does work--good example: Cathe's high impact on the floor. But it makes me happy and that is what I'm satisfied with at the end of the day.

I hear that!

It must be S&H: Triceps & Biceps because I just did this workout tonight and heard those comments. :D

Personally I drove myself crazy a while ago with so many conflicting articles (on what exercises are good vs. bad, which are good for each body type, etc.) that I no longer care and choose whatever I like. Even if it's not optimal for my body, I modify it so it does work--good example: Cathe's high impact on the floor. But it makes me happy and that is what I'm satisfied with at the end of the day.

I know what you mean - I read so many books and articles about fitness. One person says one thing and another person says the opposite! After working out for almost 22 years, I have found one thing to be true: proper form, consistency, and a healthy lifestyle will give you results.

A good orthopaedic surgeon once told me "don't do it if causes pain". So I try new things and if it hurts then I don't do it or I modify.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.