What do you mean by deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts?

alison13

Cathlete
Cathe,

Thanks for all your help and your awesome videos! I'm starting STS on Monday and can't wait! I just have one questions though....

I noticed that the One Rep max test list differentiates between Deadlifts and Stiff Legged deadlifts. I watched the YouTube video instructions you have in the Workout Manager and you appear to be doing the same thing for both lifts. I want to do the lifts correctly and I think I'm missing something.

I didn't want to bother you, so I did some research and discovered that you tend to do Romanian deadlifts as opposed to a traditional deadlift like they use in powerlifting competitions. But I'm not entirely sure how the Romanian deadlifts are different from Stiff Legged deadlifts. I believe in RDL's, your butt sticks out further, your knees bend a little more and the bar is close to your shins (just below the knee) at the bottom of the movement. And you usually only lower the weight to just below your knees. But with SLDL's, you don't stick your butt out as far, you keep your legs a bit straighter (not locked straight), and the bar is farther from your body at the bottom of the movement (over your toes rather than your ankles), and you lower the weight down further than with RDL's.

Ok, so all that being said, what are we supposed to be doing differently between the STS "Deadlifts" on disc 2 (which is supposed to be emphasizing the back) and the STS "Stiff Legged Deadlifts" on disc 35 (which is supposed to be emphasizing the legs)?

I attached a couple of photos of the two lifts for clarification....

Thanks so much for any further instruction you can give me!

Alison

Attachments

• 250romanian.jpg
    250romanian.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 5
  • Stiff Legged Deadlift.jpg
    Stiff Legged Deadlift.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.