What to do?

tlc

Hi Cathe, I have never posted a question to you before, so I thought it was about time I did. I have been working out with you for probably 12-13 Yrs.. I love all you do, you are such a positive role model. I'm so glad you are healing,and doing well. I cant wait to get your new dvds. I own about everything you have ever made. I guess I should get to my question. I'm 47yrs young and in good shape ( I guess) I have been really focusing on my upper body the last 3 months. I was doing only about 3 days of cardio which really seemed to work, and then suddenly my pants felt tighter so I thought I would increase back up to 5x a wk for 45-60min. Well all I'm noticing now is I dont have the energy when I do it, and I feel very irritable. Its not because 'm being lazy its just really tiring when I"m also doing 1 hr. or more of weight training 4 days a week plus I try to get in a yoga wkout 2-3 x a week. Is this effecting my progress for muscle definition? Should I go back to 3x a week cardio? How long should my cardio be? I'm sorry this is so long, I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks so much. TLC

If you post your question to the Open Discussion forum you'll likely get a lot more responses.

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Not Cathe here, but it sounds to like your endurance has dropped, which is normal when you decrease the amount of cardio you do.

I'm in the same boat with you. About 2 months ago, I dropped to 3x cardio/week, and did GS the other two days. I'm just this week taking it back up to 4 days/week with cardio, and I'm struggling a bit. It'll come back, it'll just take a bit for your body to build back up to working that hard.

And for the irritability, for me it's that weight workouts don't seem like "workouts" to me, since I'm not panting and sweating hard. Maybe that's what's getting you down?

Just my speculation, it could very well be another issue, but I'm having the same experience, so thought I'd chime in. And for lenght, I think 45-60 min cardio is good. Going over that is tough and can lead to overtraining, in my opinion.

I know I should let Cathe reply to this but I haven't seen her around much lately.

Why don't you try working one body part per day. I've used Fitnessfreak366's one body part rotation & it was great. I was able to do more cardio but shorter durations. Instead of doing 1 hr. of cardio why not just do 30 min.? I was also able to tack onto the end of my workout either a short yoga session or stretch.

Take a look in the Rotations section & scroll down until you come across Fitnessfreak's rotation. She did longer cardio sessions but I had shortened mine because of my schedule. I tweaked it to work for me. It worked wonders. It would look like this:

1: chest/abs/cardio/stretch
2: back/cardio/yoga
3: shoulders/cardio/abs/stretch
4: legs only
5: biceps/abs/cardio/stretch
6: triceps/cardio/yoga

Let me know what you think. I personally don't think you would be irritable from doing this rotation. HTH, Kathy:D

If you are still wanting others to reply, please post this in the Open Discussion forum (if you haven't already).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.