Weights used in Power Hour

Hi Cathe,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but since I just received my DVD's on Friday, I only noticed this now. :)

In the squat section of PH, you mention that everyone uses a different weight, whatever is right for them. But what I found interesting is that Brenda was one using the lighter weight. Now Brenda is built exactly like me with the strongest muscles predominantly in her quads. I was wondering if she went lighter so as not to bulk up?

I tend to build muscle quite easily and can squat more than 40 lbs. but I really fear building even bigger muscles in my legs. I'm only 5'3" (and 1/2 ;-)) and have pretty short legs so more muscle, only makes them look shorter. I guess in a round about way what I'm trying to ask is should I keep my weight lighter for squats and lunges? And is that why Brenda is?

TIA,

Becky

Hi Becky,

I'm not Cathe, but I am Brenda! :) so I suppose I'd be able to answer part of this one. PH is really a tough endurance workout, something I don't do a lot of in my typical workouts which is why I'm using a lighter weight than Cathe. Yikes I've been busted!! :)

My usual workouts actually tend to be heavy lifting with the occasional endurance workout to spice things up. In the past few years I decided to give heavy lifting a try and have seen some really great results from it. Bulking from the weights hasn't been an issue for me, now bulking from my diet sometimes is an issue! ;-)

Obviously everyone is different and you have to determine what works best for you. I always recommend to get a tape measure and actually measure yourself when you start a new rotation and then check back a few weeks into it. Tape measures can't lie!

Good luck with your workouts!

Brenda

Thanks for your reply Brenda! It's so great to see you in the background with your constantly smiling face. I honestly don't know how you do it! ;-)

I think my biggest fear is bulking up in the legs because I tend to build muscle fairly quickly. I definitely will try the tape measure and if I see my quads expanding... yow, I'll lower the weight. Great tip!

BTW, I think you look just awesome! :)

Thanks again!

Becky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.