weights before cardio?

Lex411

Cathlete
Cathe, first of all I think your tapes have been complete lifesavers for me. Being able to get a truly challenging advanced workout at home is just amazing, and the quality of your tapes just seems to get better and better when that doesn't seem possible. So thank you for all your hard work and creativity.

My question has to do with the order that most tapes have you do cardio and weight training. As I study nutrition and work towards being a trainer myself, I'm being told constantly that the optimum benefit comes from doing weight training first, cardio second because of the way the body accesses and uses fuel. A great trainer explained to me how weight training uses the muscles glycogen stores so when you begin cardio afterwards you tap into fat stores much more quickly. So I'm wondering, if that's true, why most tapes have traditionally done it the reverse order? Just a matter of convenience and timing? I'm thinking of using the DVD 8 pack to do weights first, then the cardio.

Also, do you know if Rhonda changed her workouts or diet? She looks much more muscular and lean in the new tapes (not that she was chopped liver before!) It's so great to see people progress along with you like that. Thanks again to you, Cathe, and the entire crew. All the hard work is greatly appreciated.

I asked the same thing

when I first started posting back in June!! I heard the same thing you did and even wrote that I'd love to see Cathe come out with a video in that order in the Dream Video page. I would like it to be more strength focused though. Heavy weights low reps and then maybe a little(tiny little!) bit less intense cardio. I'd buy it in a second
happy.gif
!

future ideas

You and me both, I get tired of fast forwarding and rewinding to get that order, but DVDs will greatly help in that capacity. I think both ways or working out are beneficial, and variety is always good but I know I've seen more progress doing my weight lifting first. But you know what, it's much harder that way too. Once I'm done with weights it's so hard to get into cardio, but it seems to be well worth it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one, though!

I had heard this too

Even though my own personal preference is to do ab work first before I'm all sweaty, then cardio, then strength (after my muscles are all warmed up). Or even to do cardio & strength on separate days. Darn I guess I'm going to HAVE to get the DVD's.

I'd be interested to know why the Cross Train Express tapes were sequenced the way they are.

Loretta

Hi Loretta

I am with you in regard to doing the weight work first..It seems less daunting when starting your workout for the day to life first, breathe hard later!
My guess on why Cathe put the Cardio first on the CTX tapes is to save time on warming up the muscles. Also, the lower weight/higher rep mode of strength training allows less chance for injury since you aren't lifting such heavy weights (as in the PS series) when fatigued.
Isn't the ab work just killer in the new tapes? I have a whole new respect for this pilate style of ab training! Yow!
Lynn

Hi Lex!

Glad that you are enjoying the tapes.

Yes, I have heard that but I'm not sure that this is a concrete fact.

For me personally, I have trained using both methods and have not noticed a difference. Generally speaking, you will have your most focused and greatest attention span during the first portion of your workout. So with that in mind if I were going to suggest an exercise sequence I would suggest that if you want most of your focus to go to your cardio workout, then put your cardio first. If you want to put most of your focus on your strength, then put your weights first. This is simply a suggestion to try if you wanted. I'm not implying that your workouts need to be done this way.

But as far as relating the information that you have learned, I guess the best way for you to see if this concept works for you would be to try the tapes for 8 weeks with cardio first and then try another 8 weeks with weights first. That way there will be no doubts left in your mind. Yes, I agree, your DVD's will come in very handy for this. Good luck with everything and thanks for posting
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.