Weight Training/BodyPump

lay

A woman in my spinning class was telling me how when she used to weight train a lot (and do minimal cardio), she was at her thinnest. Now, she does more cardio, and not much weight training, but she's got more fat. Does this have any merit? If I say, cut out a day of cardio and do weights instead, could I get thinner and 'tighter'- or is it relative?

Also, I just started Bodypump classes and love them. My muscles burn during class, but will I get cut muscles from it, since we're using light weight/high reps? I want tone, not bulk. Should I also do my MIS/PS tapes with heavy weights?

Thanks so much for ANY advice!

Hi Lay!! I'm not Cathe, but I'll tell you what I've heard. As for the weight training and minimal cardio, I think that all depends on your body type. If you already have a naturally muscular build, then you may be able to keep the weight down by not doing so much cardio and a little more weight training. Remember, muscle is metabolicy expensive. So weight traing no matter what, is a must.
As for BodyPump, when I fist got in teaching, all I did was cardio, that was it!! Then I was asked to do a BodyPump class. I decided to do it. I can not tell you the changes I have seen in my body!! Since then though, I needed more of a challenge, I do the PS Series, and/or MIS along with my classes. The heavier weights that Cathe uses stimulates my muscles differently from my classes(i.e. more growth, definition), however, I was looking to put on some bulk, not a lot, my goal was/is to get a body close to Cathe's.
Anyway, I feel (IMHO) that you should thrown in at least MIS along with the classes to get the most out of the definition that you are looking for in your muscles.
Whew! I got long winded there:)! Wel, anyway, I hope this helps you!!
Have a good one!!

Aimee

When I first started working out several years ago, I did weight training only, no cardio. ( I basically hated cardio & couldn't do aerobics to save my life. When I finally found step, I was elated because I can do it. Why step & not floor??) ANYWAY, when I was doing only strength for about a year, I lost about 20 lbs. & many inches. I was flabbergasted at the time, nobody knew back then about muscle/metabolism stuff - well, nobody in the general public anyway.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.