Water vs electrolyte drink

rdnsdn

Cathlete
I know we are supposed replenish with water but is there more benefit by using drinking an electrolyte (low calorie) drink? I am sometimes lightheaded especially after working out in the morning - breakfast later, just 1/2 banana and some coffee first - can't eat much more early in the morning.

Thanks,
Sharon

Hi Sharon. Ironically this is one of my current newsletter articles so I'm going to answer your question in a lot more detail in my next newsletter on June 13, but for now let me say... If you're working out at a moderate-intensity for less than 2 hours, and the temperature and humidity aren't high, water is all you need. If you'll be working out hard in the summer sun for longer periods of time, or doing an event such as a marathon, an electrolyte drink gives you an extra layer of safety if you'll be sweating profusely during your workout. Again, I'll go into a lot more details in the newsletter for you.

Regarding your lightheadedness, try having a complex carb along with your 1/2 banana and coffee in the morning. For example have a 1/2 cup oatmeal (or even 1/4 cup) along with 2 bites of banana and coffee (coffee is optional). This will keep your blood sugar level more stable during your workout since the oatmeal will not rush right through your system the way an only banana would. It will also provide better nutrition, fiber, and a few extra calories to support your workout.

Hope this helps!

I know we are supposed replenish with water but is there more benefit by using drinking an electrolyte (low calorie) drink? I am sometimes lightheaded especially after working out in the morning - breakfast later, just 1/2 banana and some coffee first - can't eat much more early in the morning.

Thanks,
Sharon

Water and electrolytes question

Thanks for responding Cathe! I will try adding the 1/4 c of oatmeal.

Btw, I am 63, had a hip fracture in January, fully recovered in April, happily got back into your workouts, preordered and am looking forward to your Low Impact series!

Sharon

Hi Sharon! Just a reminder that today's newsletter addressed your question more specifically. Let me know if you still have any questions after reading it :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.