Want to start excercising after severe back pain

gloprez

Dear Cathe, I have used your workouts exclusively, for years. I got into an accident, by myself going down a dirt road in the mountains. I was going through a horrible divorce, so I totally blocked out the accident. I went from working out every day for 2 hours to nothing, now. I'm sick of just sitting here taking pain pills. I think and believe that I can heal myself by excercising again. My L-4 and L-5 are blown and pinching the nerve, so I have severe L foot pain. I can walk, sometimes, and I always feel better. Ironically, since I've been in pain, I have gone from 160 to 120 lbs. But it is not the good way!!! I have been unable to eat, so I've just lost my muscle tone, and that's bad. I have all your DVD's. I know you are not a Dr., but if you were me, what Dvd's would you choose as your physical therapy if you hurt your back? I desperately need some advice, and my pain management group has not given me information for rehab. I am also a medically retired RN, so I probably know just as much as the physical therapist, but I want and respect your opinion more! Thank you so much, I want my life back!!!

Dear Cathe, I have used your workouts exclusively, for years. I got into an accident, by myself going down a dirt road in the mountains. I was going through a horrible divorce, so I totally blocked out the accident. I went from working out every day for 2 hours to nothing, now. I'm sick of just sitting here taking pain pills. I think and believe that I can heal myself by excercising again. My L-4 and L-5 are blown and pinching the nerve, so I have severe L foot pain. I can walk, sometimes, and I always feel better. Ironically, since I've been in pain, I have gone from 160 to 120 lbs. But it is not the good way!!! I have been unable to eat, so I've just lost my muscle tone, and that's bad. I have all your DVD's. I know you are not a Dr., but if you were me, what Dvd's would you choose as your physical therapy if you hurt your back? I desperately need some advice, and my pain management group has not given me information for rehab. I am also a medically retired RN, so I probably know just as much as the physical therapist, but I want and respect your opinion more! Thank you so much, I want my life back!!!

gloprez, I'm not Cathe, obviously, but just want you to know that I relate to what you are going through. First, I am so sorry you are in so much pain. :( Second, I have a bulged disc and spinal stenosis at my L4-L5. It causes pain on my right side(hip, backside, leg, calf, and sometimes my foot). I've had 2 cortisone shots.

Anyway, without going into too much detail (oops! Too late!), I have discovered water aerobics and swimming laps. I've only been doing this for 2 weeks but I have been virtually pain-free. Everyone is different with their pain and symptoms but you might consider it. My chiro, pain management doctor and nurse, and PT all suggested water aerobics-espcially deep water aerobics. However, it took me a few months and one major setback to choose to listen to them. I also do some stretching, segment 1 of Core Max(always listening to my body so I don't overdo it), and I can do Cathe's upper body workouts (I just make sure my form is good and keep it light).

If you want more info, I can PM you and go into further detail. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

HTH!

Thank you Lisa. I didn't even think of Coremax!!! I also have stretchmax, which is very yogaesque. I think I should probably start with stretchmax, and then build up my abdominals. I haven't been able to work out in so long, that I have forgotten that strong abdominals take over for weak or damaged backs. I have never had this problem. I have never, ever injured myself, so now I am learning how to be the patient!!! I just want everyone to know what a gift it is being able to work out. I took it for granted, because I was always strong. I have not even broken one bone on my body!! Now, on some days, it is a challenge to get through the pain and go for a walk. But I believe in Cathe and her great work-outs. And I really believe I'm going to beat this damaged back by slowly starting over again and working out!! Thank you everyone, this is a great support forum for me.:)

Glad I could help. ITA about it being a gift to workout. I took it for granted too. Definitely start slowly. Be very cautious when stretching or doing any exercise. I still can't do twisty moves, side to side moves, or lunge/squats without irritating my back. My PT gave me several core strengthening exercises to do and a few stretches too. It really is about re-strengthing your core.

Good luck and feel better!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.