walking lunges--cardio?

Does any one have an opinion on this? I've read Cathe's article on how weight lifting can not be considered cardiovascular, but for some reason walking lunges seem different to me than a more traditional weight workout, like say GS Legs or PS Legs--maybe it is all of the movement. Thanks

If they get your heart rate up for a length of time I would think it could be considered cardio. That's just my opinion. There are a lot more experts out there than me though. You may want to post this in the Open Discussion if you don't get a response from Cathe.

Yes, if you can survive 20 minute of walking lunges:p In all seriousness, walking lunges always get my heartrate up and so they could probably be considered a sub for cardio in a pinch. The other option is to take a look at the blasts from LoMax and DrillMax and try to incorporate some of them in between sets of walking lunges. This will have your heartrate climbing for sure.

Of course, if you have access to a heartrate monitor, you could always strap it on, do a few minutes of walking lunges and see what your heartrate does. If it climbs into your aerobic zone then you are all set.

HTH,
Mattea:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.