USING LIGHTER WEIGHTS

annie2867

Cathlete
I HAVE TENNIS ELBOW SO I'VE BEEN GOING TO THE GYM AND USING MACHINES FOR UPPER BODY THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS. THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE PS CHEST, SHOULDERS AND TRICEPS A GO THIS MORNING, COULD TELL AFTERWARDS THAT WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA. DID LEANER LEGS THE OTHER NIGHT BUT COULD ONLY USE 15LB DUMBELLS IN EACH HAND, CAN'T GET A BARBELL OVER MY HEAD AS IT HURTS, CAN'T USE MY 20LBS AS THIS ALSO IS BOTHERSOME. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW I CAN USE MORE WEIGHT I'M AFRAID THAT USING THESE LIGHTER WEIGHTS IS GOING TO SET ME BACK, BUT THEN MAYBE I WILL JUST MAINTAIN WHAT I HAVE ALREADY, DOES ANYONE KNOW? THE DOCTOR TOLD ME IT WILL BE 4 MONTHS FOR THE ELBOW TO HEAL.

You must allow yourself to heal! You may lose a little strength but if you don't allow yourself a full recovery you may be plagued by your injury for a long time. You can try light weight and increased reps but only if there is no pain. Also it's ok to eliminate overhead work while the elbow heals. Use exercises that don't stress the elbow as much like side laterals, front raised, rear delt flies.

My left elbow was damaged when I was young. For the most part, can do everything I need to with it. (I am right-handed) But when it comes to triceps I have to baby that elbow. It's the French press which gives me the most trouble. I can do kickbacks and closegrip bb presses but I use light weights for triceps and increase the reps.

Listen to your body! Exercise smart and you'll exercise long!

Keep you attitude positive. It'll pass and you'll be back up to speed in no time!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/flower.gif obbi

First read Bobbi's meassage urging you to be safe. But since I know very well that many of us will do anything to still work out hard, here is an idea: Strap some ankle weights around your waist. I have done this with calf raises (dumbbell in one hand, 10 pd. around weight waist, other hand on railing for support, heels dropping below step). I don't know if it will work for squats which involve more movement. Maybe plie squats or stationary lunges will work since your body will remain in a more upright position. Jeanne

Hi! Your body is obviously in serious recovery mode right now. The only exercises you should be doing now are ones that your doctor approves. Good luck, listen to your body (as well as your doctor), and keep safe :).

I have suffered from tennis elbow twice and found it very difficult to cut back on weights but you must. Otherwise, it will never heal. I did get cortisone injections in my elbow which, with rest, made it heal very quickly. Ask your doctor and give it a rest. Perhaps you could cross-train while the elbow is healing?
Shara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.