Turbo Tower Pushups Modifications

Hi Cathe and all!

So, I've been using my Turbo Tower to help modify pushups for me. One of places where its really been helpful are for straddle pushups. For whatever reason, I can't really grab the step the right way with my hands. But I try to keep the distance of between my hands the same as the step, keep my elbows from flaring, and my body in similar alignment. Am I still achieving the same goal? TIA!

Hi Sangeeta!

So let me make sure I am understanding this right. You lower the turbo tower bar down to about a foot from the floor and then you do a tricep push up on it with your feet straight behind you (or in a partial straddle stance). Your elbows are tight to your sides and not flared, right? If so, yes, same goal but with a slightly different hand position, therefore you are hitting the tricep muscle just slightly differently, yet fully effectively.

Hi Cathe and all!

So, I've been using my Turbo Tower to help modify pushups for me. One of places where its really been helpful are for straddle pushups. For whatever reason, I can't really grab the step the right way with my hands. But I try to keep the distance of between my hands the same as the step, keep my elbows from flaring, and my body in similar alignment. Am I still achieving the same goal? TIA!

Hey Cathe -- yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. Awesome! I'm very happy because I could never seem to hold onto the step without it bothering me. The bar lets me have a better grip (and maybe less awkward pressure on my wrists). Man, I just love that thing...thanks again Cathe!

Where did you come up with the exercise modification. Have I missed a worksheet or video?

Hey Gibbee...I sort of thought it up. I remember thinking one day, hey I can use this for pushups and then I remember reading someplace else that it could be used for it. As for the straddle pushups...I just can't grip it right on my bench so as I slipped (again) I went to the tower and it worked. HTH.

Sorry for bumping up this old thread but I literally sat up in bed last night and was like !!!!!!! I can do pushups on my new turbo tower!!! I've always done them on my knees. The only time I almost got up to toe pushups was when I was doing P90X and I only got through about 40 of the 90 days before I moved on to something else. I found a used Turbo Tower (well it wasn't used, someone bought it and never used it so she sold it to me) and I wanted it specifically for the chin ups and pull ups in STS. The thought that I could use it for pushups as well literally knocked me upside my head last night.

I see Cathe co-signed here that these are ok to do, I just wanted to make sure the Turbo Tower was built for it. I don't wanna be pushing down on that bar and suddenly end up on the floor.

I'm glad this was bumped as well because I have also struggled with straddle pushups mainly because of my wrists/palms feeling awkward on the step.

I'm not an expert but I can't imagine that doing pushing down on the bar would be any different than hanging your weight from it to do pullups. Especially since it is not like you are standing on it so only part of your weight is actually pushing down on the bar.

Yet another use for the ultra versatile turbo tower. Money well spent!

Glad my little epiphany was able to help you guys out. I sometimes don't like bumping up old threads but I always feel it's better than starting a new thread about a topic that's already been covered. That's why I always search first. :)

You're right Julie... I guess it would be sort of the same thing. I think in my mind I am thinking about pushing down with a push up as opposed to pulling down with a pull up or chin up but in the end it's all the same. And to think I wasn't gonna even get a Turbo Tower because they were kinda pricey. It's a challenge trying to hide it when I'm done with it in my little apartment but I make it work. And now I can use it for pushups too. Happy! :)

I have been using my Turbo Tower for pushups like this ever since I got it. I have trouble with my wrists/hands and pushups make it worse. Gripping the tower bar makes it much easier on my hands!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.