Tubing is great for Butt Workouts and MORE!

cinza

I wrote this note in response to Cyndie on the Butt Workout thread..

Cyndie was suggested using tubing for sqats.

I do squats with it too.

The best place i found to buy is at a medical supply store !!
You can buy latex tubing by the foot in different thickness.
There are many creative ways to use the tubing. You can easily buy enough to make a selection of toning tools.

I have round eye hooks running up both sides of a door frame in my kitchen .. (my door fram looks like a torture rack of sorts)
i can slip a piece of tubing with a big knot on one end through the eye hook and then work any body part from any angle with the other end. Actually i have attched clips to the ends on alot of tubes.
The end i hold has a small knot to keep it from slipping from my hand or i to use on my ankles... )

YOu can do just about anything with a bit of tubing.
Imagine attaching it at floor level and doing bicept curls.. or to your ankles and working from back, the side, the front.

Attach it over head and grip where you like to do chest or back work..
or stretch as you put your weight against it.

its great!!
i also have a piece of wood... with eye hooks that i stand on with tubing strung through it.......or a dowel with eye hooks i can thread with tubing and use over my shoulders.

my friends dont believe me when i tell them how they can do almost anything with the tubing ... I think its pretty safe. I learnt about this from my physical therapist.

cinza.

Okay you've convinced me!

Here's my question however...Do they have workout tapes where they utilize this tubing stuff?

Thanks!

Terri

there are tapes and books for variations on the tubing.

for starters i should say there are several versions of strechy things.
*rubber bands...about 12 inches long half and inch wide when folded in half .. just giant rubber bands.
*dynabands.....are 5 about 7 inch wide flat stips cut 4 feet long or so..
*surgical tubing...comes from the sports store or the medical supply store.....

the "dynaband" is used like the tube.. I like them very much too...but the tubing you buy at the medical supply is cheap so i buy lots and have fun ...(you can fill them up with water and make giant water guns!! They fill up like ballons....use pen body in the fron to squirt water out)
but i digress....

tamilee has a book that comes with smaller rubber bands (i dont like the small guys myself). You can get ideas by looking at the book. I saw the book at Barnes and Noble..

I think i saw a Kari anderson "dynaband" video tape...

i have seen other "dynaband" books in second hand stores

Stotts has an dynaband pilates workout....(stotts tapes are excellent excellent excellent {if you are interested in Pilates})

I saw dynaband work in a book at Borders on Weight Training for Young Athletes..

Its fun to hang out at bookstores scanning all the fitness books..

I suggest .. look at photos in books of how to use weight machines.. Look at the ones that use cords you hold and pull with feet or hands .....You imitate the positions of the cords on your wall ... use the correct form for the exercise as if you were using a weight machine.
Oh, and also
Look at the "Crunch" workout book (i thought this was a fun and excellent book on working out at home, I got it for my teenagers ) ...
Look the "Workouts for Dummies or Idiots" (the one with Tamilee instructing, she has a section in the back using bands for travel. She has a wooden bar to attach the bands to... i made one like that out of a dowel... and love it)

The cool thing about these elastic bands is that they are amazingly effective and flexible and if you are smart about using good form you can do everything with them... its easy to invent ways to stretch yourself and pull in any direction...Just remember Form.
Another great thing about them is you can not load up any more resistance than you can handle (like weights) ... but you can get as much out of them as you are able to pull and resist! The resistance works in both directions if you are going slow.

Another Idea: attaching bands to a door:

If you write to BalancedBody.com for a catalog, they have bands and attachements to use a closed door to hold the band in place/
It is something like a two slotted button you loop the dynaband through and then drape it over the top of the door and close it.. it jams the band from sliding back to you when you pull.
door handles work nicely too for attaching a band..
so do the feet on a couch..
etc.
. you could make an attachment using anything on one end of you band that wont slip though the door when its closed.
They also sell handles you can use with the dynabands..
Very tempting to me who doesnt buy anything i can make.

Have fun.
and... always make sure your band is in good condition so it doesnt snap when stressed.
I left a tube out in my damp shed for a couple of years and it broke .. but other than that i have had safe useage..

I use little plastic joints from the hardware store to join both ends of the band into on big circle....kind of like the chinese finger puzzle... it tightes when pulled...
make sure its secure if you do that.

but you can knot them.

enough!?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.