tricep pushups vs. regular pushups

Aimee

Cathlete
Cathe, when I do tricep pushups I do feel it my my triceps, but when I do the staggered pushups, I feel it so much more in my triceps and the back of my shoulders!! Usually I collaspe before you end the second round, they feel like their on fire. I keep my arms close to the sides of my body when I do the tricep one and my arms are a little bit wider than shoulder with apart on the staggered ones. So, what am I doing wrong to feel it like this when they're supposed to be targeting my chest? Thanks for the advice!

Hi Aimee!

Don't worry you are still working your chest. While push ups in general target primarily the chest, they also call upon the triceps and shoulders to do the job. But in this "staggering" case they are REALLY called upon because not only do we do push ups at the END of the weight segment, we are doing them STAGGERED(more intense). (((Just thought I would provide a little variety to your rotation
happy.gif
)))))

In any case, this format is more demanding and eventually they will get a BIT easier. Work up to your staggered push ups slowly and always modify if you feel that you are losing your form due to fatigue. Good Luck and keep up the good work!

It good to know,

I wasn't doing them wrong
happy.gif
! I love the variation by the way! Thanks for answering me so quickly!! I'll keep in mind to modify, modify, modify
happy.gif
!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.