Too much step?

Hi Cathe,

I was wondering if doing only step is a bad thing for my muscles? I may run 1 day per week but the rest is IM, Circut Max, Step Max, or Step Fit. I am waiting on Rythmic Step to arrive. Will this give me a bad shape? Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Thanks...Ellen

First, the evident "I'm not Cathe, but" disclamer.... ;-)
I think too much of ANY one activity predisposes you to injury because you're using the same muscles in the same way. I think everyone should do at least two different types of activities (like step, kickboxing, high/low, biking, etc.). Also, just my personal take on things, but running and power stepping can both be tough on the knees (you'll even notice on this forum times when it seems like a lot of folks are complaining about knee pain), and you might think about alternating these activities with less knee-stressful activities (to lessen the risk of osteoarthritis in the futur) like biking.

I have to admit I've been doing only step for weeks, even though I really do know better. I just love it so much!
I'm going to try to cross train at least once a week, though. Thanks for the reminder!
Ruth :)

A step junky's humble comments

Well, I know this is not technically correct but in my humble opinion, there's just no such thing as 'too much step'.

Having said that, it is absolutely advised by many sources, including Cathe, that people should vary their cardio activities in order to avoid overuse injuries as well as providing your body with different types of challenges.

I'm just such a step junky myself and I really can't stand hi/lo. That's simply because I always get cramps, the balls of my feet really start hurting and I also get a terrible headache from all the impact with a floor that does not give like a step does! One thing that's so wonderful about step is that you can have high intensity and low impact at the same time, unlike most hi/lo workouts.

I have been trying to vary my cardio a little bit by going cycling more lately but I find that it's so similar to step in a lot of ways. I'm convinced that I've become much more advanced as a pedaller just because I'm always doing intense step workouts. Many of the same knee rules apply ~ don't go past 90 degrees and don't snap your knees either. I've been trying a little more of Cathe's kickboxing segments too, just to try to round out my work a little, but it's not because I'm tired of stepping!

As far as giving you a bad shape, no, it won't. A stepper's shape is typically quite athletic looking but very feminine as well. Well defined but not beefy looking calves (especially if you 'lift' a lot), round but not bulging glutes and toned inner thighs. I think it's a great shape.

RE: A step junky's humble comments

The specific problem I am having with Step and my shape is my upper hip area is sticking out w/muscle causing a dimple on side of butt and a square butt shape instead of a curved shape. I am guessing that this is either some extra meat on me or it is from too much step.

Dear Step Junky...:D

I, too, am a step-a-holic. Your last sentence is one I can identify with. In my case, the answer is a little of both. I think that little extra butt meat is from some extra poundage and stepping. I can live with it...it's not ugly or anything. But I really could stand to lose about 8 pounds. I'm betting the prominence of the appearance would be much less.

D.

butt meat hahaha! I like that term. I think I am carrying about an extra 8 lbs too and it really makes a big difference in the appearance I see in the mirror. I played tennis last night and plan on a short jog tonight. I really like working out at home though so plan on keeping all the step workouts. Bye...Ellen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.