Too much muscle

Manny

Help me!!!! What am I doing wrong??? I worked out a couple of years ago and lost a ton of weight and was in great shape. Unfortunately I took a couple years off and have put some pounds back on. I have been working out for about 4 months and haven't lost a pound.....problem is I am gaining too much muscle. I have tried everything to lose the weight and it won't budge. I gain muscle very, very easy and I don't want to. Not sure what I can do that will start me to lose weight and lose the muscle I Have. I am very short and now stalky and built.....too much I think. Now that I am working out I find I am gaining more weight!!!! I have already put on 10 lbs.....want to lose at least 12 but man am I getting discouraged as I see the scale climb!!!! Is there such a thing reducing your muscle mass and becoming more sleek yet toned???

Can anyone help me???

Manon

Hi. Not Cathe here, but you asked for help.:p

This sounds to me like you would have to stick to endurance-based training, like Power Hour or Muscle Endurance and circuit-styled workouts like Circuit Max, Cardio and Weights, HSTA, HSC, The Terminator dvd, etc and kickboxing. I think that would be your ticket. Just my thoughts on your dilemma.

HTH!

runathon

Hi Manon! I agree that perhaps you should try doing more endurance based strength training workouts along with steady state 45 to 60 minute cardio activities. Another thing to consider if you aren't already doing so, is that along with these workouts comes clean eating which has to be strictly adheared to if you want to see a difference. Working out can definitely spike an appetite so I find that you have to be sure to have good foods prepared ahead of time so that you don't binge on preservative loaded quick fix foods when famished.

Stay focused and committed!
Good luck!

I have to say that I love this comment from Cathe, "Working out can definitely spike an appetite so I find that you have to be sure to have good foods prepared ahead of time so that you don't binge on preservative loaded quick fix foods when famished."

It made me laugh because I have to stay away from the junk food that I crave after a workout.

Have you tried pilates? This might be another option in a addition to endurance based training, as well as regular cardio. Just a suggestion, not a rule:)

Thanks so much for responding. I agree with you on the food part...it is very hard to stay on track though. I am tying my best to eat properly and am drinking protein shakes now to help. I guess it takes a long time to shed as I feel like I've been good......patience I guess. Do you have any good suggestions on quick, easy and "good for you" snacks? I want to replace junk!

As far as the endurance workouts....I have a couple of questions. I have your boot camp DVD and Imax 2....are these considered part of what I need? I'm sure Imax 2 is but Boot camp??? Also I am looking at buying your Kick, Punch and Crunch & and legs and glutes....do these two workouts fall into the category I need....or is the legs and glutes one going to make my legs and butt bigger?? I also am very interested in your new workouts coming out in August.

Cathe...you are awesome....keep it up because you motivate and help many, many people. Thank you so much for your help. And if you ever do a tour in Ontario, Canada I would love to know!

Manon

Thank you very much for helping me out. I will take all I can get. It helps to steer me in the right direction. I think I will also order Cathe's new workouts for August....they seem pretty awesome! What are your thoughts on legs and glutes? Boot camp? Too much for me?

Manon

I was having a silimar problem in which I was working out and eating right, but my butt and thighs were getting bigger! Granted, it was muscle, but I didn't care for it. I started doing Cathe's lower body workouts will no weights and my lower half trimmed down a lot. I also added yoga into the mix. I know it wasn't eating becuase I am eating the same as I did before! Hope this helps! Let us know what works for you...

Manon,

Imax2 is an interval workout that is pure cardio. Boot Camp is a circuit workout, which combines cardio and strength training. An endurance workout would be a strength training DVD such as Muscle Max or Muscle Endurance. This works your entire body with weights, bands, etc.

Kick, Punch and Crunch is an excellent cardio workout, and you will see good toning results in your lower body.

Just a note: Cathe is FILMING her new workouts in August - it will be a while until they are edited and ready for production.

If you do a search for "clean eating" here, you'll be sure to find lots of good ideas. Good luck!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.