Is there such a thing as "secretary spread" ????

AprilY

After being a server for 10 years, I now am a receptionist for an insurance company, I am required to sit for @6 hours out of my work day.I am expereincing major hip rotator pain & I am so scared I am going to gain major weight!!! Should I be paranoid?
Everyone keeps telling me I am going to get Secretary spread"
Any thoughts??? Thanks, April

You will have to watch your calorie intake since you will be moving around a lot less, unless you balance it out with more activity in your off hours. One hint....if you have stairs in you place of employment, make an effort to take the stairs as often as you can. In fact, you could do a mini-workout of running up and down several flights of stairs during the day. Also, walk all you can, from building to building on errands, or take walks at noon. Also, park your car farther away so you have to walk a greater distance to and from your building.

Last hint....do lots of leg and butt work, meaning with weights. You can arrest the spread if you have a plan!

When my job requires alot of computer time at my desk I try to do alot of abdominal tightening exercises, which I find work quite well. Taking walks when you get a break might be good also.
Trevor

Hi April! In addition to what the others have said, I would say to take a 5 minute break every 90 minutes and do the following:

1) one minute of upper body stretches, especially for neck and back.

2) one minute of squats (using just your natural body weight for resistance)

3) one minute of non-stop static lunges with your right leg forward. Stretch 30 seconds.

4) one minute of non-stop static lunges with your left leg forward. Stretch 30 seconds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.