Teaching too much?

Cbelle

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, I'm hoping you or someone from this forum can offer me advice. I am a relatively new aerobics instructor (spinning, all aerobics and YogaFit). I kind of got sucked right into it and within a month was teaching 9-11 classes per week. Its been about 4 months now and the biggest thing I've noticed is that I've GAINED at least 10 lbs. My best guess on why is that 1) I'm way overtraining and this is my body's revenge 2) I have NO time for weights now except for the little bit of light light toning in class (I've noticed a huge loss of muscle) and 3) I'm so confused on a good day of what I should eat (other than the somewhat vague "healthy, low carbs") and how many calories my body needs and doing all these classes is just making it all the more confusing. I've taken the plunge and dropped two classes. Three of my classes remaing are yoga which I don't really "do" I mostly walk around and help them. One day a week I have two aerobics classes (hi/lo and spinning). Otherwise, here is what I've come up with for my schedule:

Mon- Hi/Lo
Spinning
Tues- Teach yoga
MIS Strength or Body Pump and yoga on my own time (split up between morning and night)
Wed- Kickboxing/BootCamp
Teach yoga
Thurs- Spinning
Fri- MIS Strength or BodyPump, yoga on my own time
Sat- teach yoga maybe do some cardio on my own time.

First of all, will MIS strength or bodypump be enough lifting per week? Also, I have the PS series which I really love, I prefer to seperate my muscle groups but I'm not sure if I have the time or energy for 3 different day so lifting. Unless I did 2 days back to back (i.e. Fri and Sat)

Secondly, is this still overdoing my cardio?

And thirdly, will this help my body to NOT store all this dang fat?

Thanks alot in advance! Cindy

Hello cbelle! I haven't checked into the forum in quite some time and I was browsing through when I noticed your post. I had to reply because I too, have had the same problem you are noticing. Interesting isn't it, that with the amount of exercise we get (I too am averaging around 12 classes per week to help up our family income since my husband was laid off) that weight gain would occur! So, my theory is either my food intake is higher than I think or our bodies get so used to the high level of activity that there is no longer a physical response, ie. weight loss. Sounds crazy probably but I must say I was heartened to see your post because it shows that it's not just my body that seems to be responding this way. Anyway, take care of yourself and check back with me if you want.

Hi texasmom, since I posted that I dropped two classes....I'm now averaging 9 a week, 3 of those being yoga. Its not so bad but its still a struggle to get all that MY body needs into a week without being exhausted. If it were just cardio and weights it wouldnt be so much a problem but add yoga into the mix and things get crazy. I'm still struggling to lose the weight as well. I can't seem to get the hang of the eating thing down...how many calories to lose, what kind of foods to eat (i.e. more protein, less carbs, or it doesnt matter as long as the calories are not too high..) I find it all very frustrating.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.