TDEE- Cathe or anyone?

mrsprincess07

Cathlete
Since the weather is warming, my summer time activity level always increases. I do my 2-4 days of weight work (spilts, circuits, total body) as well as 1-2 cardio sessions. Until now I have been using the *Moderate* level TDEE estimation.

My question for Cathe or anyone knowledgeable is now that I'll be outside walk/jogging with my dogs 3-5 days per week (30-60 mins) in addition to my routine/schedule what should I consider my TDEE?

DO I bump is up to "High" or "Very High" on the activity scale?

TDEE or total calories burned

If your activity level increases, then certainly you can increase your activity level in the Workout Manager settings. Just don't be overly optimistic, as many people are, when it comes to calories burned.

Thanks!

My problem is always under estimating and I want to make sure I do this right this year. The last time I tracked Calories in/out I was severely under eating for my level.

I'll also add that my *walks* aren't just strolls, I'm on a mission! I like to do 3 miles in under 40 minutes without jogging intervals. Then there are those *walks* that I do 2-3 minutes of walking and 1-2 minutes of jogging. I know with the pace of both it burns some serious calories according to my HRM. I just do know where my Maintenance TDEE should be which would allow me to more accurately gage my fat loss caloric range.

TDEE or total calories burned

Don't worry about getting this perfect as it is just not possible to do... just try to be as accurate as possible. The easiest way to know if you have calculated your TDEE correctly is to see what happens to your body's weight over several weeks.

If you eat the same calories as your TDEE your body weight should stay roughly the same allowing for normal daily and monthly fluctuations in weight due to meals and water weight.

If you eat less than your TDEE than your weight should drop. Eating 500 daily calories less than your TDEE should result in a weight loss of one pound per week (you can use our weight loss calculator in the Workout Manager to determine your weight loss for any calorie deficit value).

As for calculating calories burned while run/walking for a female. On average you will burn 74 calories per mile walking and 105 calories per mile running, so you're probably somewhere in-between this range when you do both. Your actual calories burned will depend on your running terrain, your weight, your stride and your fitness level, but this should give you a good idea of how many calories you are burning. Remember to subtract out the calories you would have burned if you would have done nothing from these numbers as they're are already reflected in your BMR.

Also keep in mind that there are are medical factors, such as thyroid issues, that can affect your BMR and can cause your expected results to be totally wrong in using our calculator. This is why in a future release of the Workout Manager we will add a slider that will let you increase or decrease your TDEE to whatever value like.

In your case it is just not possible to tell you which exact activity level is appropriate for you, but from what you have said it sounds like it should be "Very Active" which is very good. "Extra Active" is really for someone who is a competitive athlete and has a very active lifestyle and job. An example of this is person who works manual construction and also trains daily for a marathon. But if you find that your losing too much weight you may want to up your TDEE and your calorie intake.

Listen to your body and make adjustment as is needed. Calculators like ours give only average values. Your metabolism may not be average, so don't be afraid to make adjustments. Our calculator is meant to be a starting point in your journey of finding your real TDEE. Everyones activity level and exercise routines are different, so our calculator can not be 100% accurate. It will help you get close to your true TDEE, but you always need to make adjustments for your specific lifestyle.

Last edited:
Thanks much!

I've honestly been so scared of calorie counting since that last time. It was the worst feeling ever always being hungry and having no energy. I'll change my workout manager in th next couple of months when that level inreases. Thank you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.