Substitute for static lunges?

Denise B

Hi Cathe,

I'm really enjoying the S&H tapes -- thanks for all your hard work and creativity in making them. I wanted to know if you could recommend a substitute for static lunges (which I see from another post are a favorite of yours :) ). Unfortunately, they are really hard on my feet (I have bunions), especially at the 6-2 count. I can do a limited amount of exercises with my feet in a curled position, but I try to keep my feet flat as much as possible during lower body work. I was thinking of trying seated quad extensions (with ankle weights) and standing hamstring curls (also with weights) using the S&H count. What do you think? Would these be a satisfactory substitute? Any other recommendations?

Thanks, Cathe.

~Denise

Denise,

I just thought that I would give you my idea.
I have problems with my achilles tendons, so doing lunges with heavy weights is really tough on me. I have found that if i do them with my back leg on the step, I have more of the weight on my front flat foot (heel). There is not nealy as much strain on the back foot.
that has helped me a lot, and you could give it a try.
It's still a very very great workout.

good luck
Dorthe

A suggestion. YOu might try turning the static lunge into a one-legged squat. Place your back foot on a step, shoelaces DOWN, and push up and down with all your weight on your front foot (the back foot is only for balance). You'd have to use a lighter weight than for a lunge.

Hi Denise, I have bunions too and static lunges really can aggravate the foot that is behind. If you have a tall box ( like in the Firm tapes) I have found tall box step ups to be a good substitute. Marilyn

You might also do as many as are comfortable or you could eliminate them all together and do something more comfortable to you while Cathe does them. Add a few rounds of leg extensions with ankle weights at the end of the workout. I don't have bunions but I have a collapsed arch and my feet can really bother me if I am not careful. I find the lunges primarily work my quads although they also hit the glutes and hams. So elimnating one exercise while doing a similar one should be fine.

That's my two cents worth!

;-)

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.