stubborn legs!

Michele S

Cathlete
Hi Cathe (and everyone else, too!)

For the past eight weeks, I've been rotating the PS series and doing step on my off days. After three weeks of this, I added MIS. I have seen fantastic upper body results, but my lower body just doesn't seem to be responding very well.

I've been using a 30 lbs barbell and go as heavy with dumbbells as I can without sacrificing my form (especially on lunges). I'm a little bottom heavy to begin with (bubble butt, that's me!) so does that mean that it'll take longer to get through the extra blubber to start seeing muscle? Should I up my cardio?

Help, Cathe, help!!! :-(

Michele

I'm not Cathe, but. . .

I also have the same problem. I have a bubble butt and big thighs, and my upper body is definitely ahead of my lower body in terms of fat loss and muscle tone. However, I started using the PS series and MIS about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have noticed some very positive changes already. I am a firm believer in cross training for our body type as well - maybe you could vary your cardio a little more? I've found that jump roping has done wonders for my lower body -- one of the good things about roping is that you get a lot of benefit from a relatively short workout (I rope for 30 min./3-4x a week). I also include one or two longer cardio sessions per week as well (kickboxing, hi/lo, etc.). Just my .02, for what it's worth :)

I'd love to hear Cathe's thoughts on this one.

Randi

I'm not Cathe, but. . .

I also have the same problem. I have a bubble butt and big thighs, and my upper body is definitely ahead of my lower body in terms of fat loss and muscle tone. However, I started using the PS series and MIS about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have noticed some very positive changes already. I am a firm believer in cross training for our body type as well - maybe you could vary your cardio a little more? I've found that jump roping has done wonders for my lower body -- one of the good things about roping is that you get a lot of benefit from a relatively short workout (I rope for 30 min./3-4x a week). I also include one or two longer cardio sessions per week as well (kickboxing, hi/lo, etc.). Just my .02, for what it's worth :)

I'd love to hear Cathe's thoughts on this one.

Randi

Stubborn legs?.

Hi, I'm not Cathe, but I feel your pain!!!
What type of cardio are you doing? If it's alot of step or biking you may be just bulking up your legs and butt more, since those seem to be the same muscle areas that are worked so strenuously in the PS and MIS leg series.
Try doing some cardio that works a different part of your leg..Kickboxing, floor aerobics, and walking/or running might lean out that problem area.

Lynn

RE: Stubborn legs?.

>What type of cardio are you
>doing? If it's alot of
>step or biking you may
>be just bulking up your
>legs and butt more, since
>those seem to be the
>same muscle areas that are
>worked so strenuously in the
>PS and MIS leg series.

Hi Lynn -

Yes, I am doing mostly step these days (patiently waiting for my DVDs) but I've only been using a 6" step. Oh, I hope you're not right about that bulking me up...I love my step!!!

Michele

RE: Stubborn legs?.

Hi Michele-
I know what you mean, I love step, too! Also, here's another suggestion..a personal trainer told me that after doing a bunch of strenuous leg work it is super important to stretch really well.. her theory is that muscles get really tight and contract (think "bunched up") and that if you stretch them out you elongate them again... I have tried that and it does seem to work...I don't know if that is helpful or not, but it can't hurt.
P.S. I am sure you will love the new six pack when you get it...the leg tape is WAY intense...and I liked it in that the weights you use aren't as heavy as PS legs..but tons more reps.. Which may help for your "bulk" problem.
Lynn

I also have this problem. When I start to see results it's always upper body first. You'll see my ribs show thru before you'll ever see a slim butt or thin thighs. I've never heard the expression "bubble butt" before but I liked it cause it made me chuckle and didn't seem as negative as "big butt" Although there is a song from way back that starts out singing " I like big butts...." Do you have a problem buying skirts or pants that fit properly? Anyways, I really meant to add my Canadian 2cents worth which is: I have been doing the CTX series for about 2 weeks and it seems to be slimming down the thighbutt area. My theory is that its the kickboxing moves.

I have that shape, too. Running has helped a lot. I didnt think I'd ever be able to run but doing Cathe videos all last winter & spring really helped my cardio!

I like Chic jeans because they cater to the "hourglass figure" (Now isnt that more positive than bubble butt?) LOL!!

Peg

I hate to mention another tape on Cathe's forum, but I've had good results using the floor leg work in Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout in between days of standing leg work from MIS and PS legs. I also think the suggestion to stretch or do Yoga after doing heavy leg work is good. Doing aerobics after leg work seems to loosen up the muscles as well, but it's hard to do if you've worked the muscles to failure with the weights.

Hi Michele, and all Cathe fans! I also feel your pain and would like to say that I have been doing all Cathe's new tapes and WOW, have I been seeing results. My legs and abs, not only feel stronger, but look and feel leaner. I must say I look even more fabulous now. You go girls! I truly beleive this is the way to go! Just a suggestion, take it or leave it, right?, like Cathe says. Oh, by the way, I would much rather have a bubble butt, than no butt, it just does not look sexy, nor attractive for that matter. Besides, all men, prefer women with butts, and ask yourself would you prefer to have a flat butt?. Don't think so. So don't get discouraged girls, at least we have butts, lets just start kicking butt with Cathe's new tapes.

I agree!

Although I have to admit that I sometimes curse my "hourglass" figure :) when I'm trying on pants and skirts that fit perfectly in the hips/butt/thighs but gape at the waist, I would rather have my bubble butt than a flat butt. I'm used to it now anyway :)!

Cathe's programs DO work, definitely - yesterday I bought the cutest pair of fitted pants (size 5/6) that fit perfectly, even in the waist. Three weeks ago I was in between a 7/8 and 5/6, because of the size of my butt and thighs. My stomach, waist and lower body are really coming together, thanks to PS and MIS, and soon, Leaner Legs, I hope!

I've thought about taking up running but haven't taken the leap yet. There was someone else who mentioned the Chic brand being a good fit for our bodies. I'll have to check it out. Gaping waistlines don't look appealing to me. Thanks for the tip. :)

I've thought about taking up running but haven't taken the leap yet. There was someone else who mentioned the Chic brand being a good fit for our bodies. I'll have to check it out. Gaping waistlines don't look appealing to me. Thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to thank everybody for all their advice. I was really hoping to get some feedback from Cathe on this, but you all have been very helpful! BTW, I don't mind my bubble butt (Jennifer Lopez has even made it "socially" acceptable), I'd just like the whole package to be a little on the firmer side!
:)

You all have made me soooo anxious to get my DVDs...I can hardly stand the wait any longer! I'm also thinking of starting to run again this fall. I had started a running program last summer, but didn't have enough incentive to keep it up during the colder months. Maybe the thought of a leaner lower body will do the trick!

Thanks!
Michele

P.S. I've found that Liz Claiborne jeans fit very well for me, but want to see if I can find Chic to give them a try!

Hi Michele! Being that you said that you are a little "bottom heavy", than that is most likely your trouble zone. Yes, you can improve trouble zones but they are stubborn. It will take focus and committment to keep the trouble zones "out of trouble". I don't know if you need to up your cardio since you didn't mention how much you are currently doing. But I do think that you need to vary it. I found that my legs responded wonderfully to kickboxing, spinning, and running. Try to incorporate at least one or two of these activities, in addition to step, totaling 4 to 5 cardio sessions per week. I think this will keep you happily out of trouble ;-)! Good Luck!

Thanks, Cathe!

Hi Cathe!

You made my day by taking the time to answer my questions! :)

I'm going to try to incorporate some running into my workouts this fall and once I get my DVDs (patiently waiting, of course!)I'll mix things up with them as well. I try to do one hour of cardio every other day, and on my PS upper body days, I'm doing 30 minutes of light cardio. Hopefully, I'll get this lower body under control with some determination and hard work!

Thanks again!
Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.