Strength workout for high school distance runner

Lollie61

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

My daughter is a distance runner on her h.s track team and is also on the h.s. xc team. She has had a great year with her running. Her coach has suggested that she up her training this summer to two a days. She plans to run in the morning and swim in the afternoon/evenings. My daughter would also like to incorporate some strength and core training. She wants to work on her turnovers to increase her speed. Her coach said hill workouts is great for speed. (The coach was a runner in college) My daughter has noticed that the girls who really have nice turn overs have great muscle definition in their legs. Could you tell me which of your strength and core workouts would be good for a distance runner? She did tell me that lifting light is better for distance runners. She's a tiny thing. 5'3", 100 lbs if that.

She's entering her senior year in h.s. and plans to run in college. She's heard from several schools.

Here are the Cathe strength workouts I have:

MIS
PS
Gym Styles
Supersets/Push Pull
Legs and Glutes
Butts and Guts
Muscle Endurance
Power Hour
Slow and Heavy
Muscle Max

I have the new workouts so she may be able to put something together with them.

Her goal is to break 11 in the 2 mile next year and to get in the low 18's/17s in xc. In the state meet she place 5th w/ a personal best of 11:09 and she ran the 5K on the track last wkend w/ a time of 18:32.

Thanks,

Lollie

* I sent you an email asking the same thing but thought you may see this before the email.

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.