Starting STS postpartum

goldenrun358

Cathlete
Hi Cathe (other opinions appreciated too),

I am almost 5 weeks post-partum and want to start STS soon. My question is: should I jump right in or rebuild some strength first? I worked out my entire pregnancy, but made modifications as the pregnancy progressed. Towards the end, I did not lift heavy weights, did modified push-ups, cut out pull ups (assisted), and I can tell I've lost a lot of strength. I want to get the most out of STS, so should I take a couple of weeks and re-gain lost strength or just start the program? I did Muscle Max last week and suffered some serious DOMS afterwards!

What do you think would be the best plan of attack and give me the best results? I am seriously dreading the push ups in Meso 1!! Those were hard BEFORE getting pregnant!! ;)

Thanks, Jen

Cathe wrote a blog post a few years ago on how she approached her postpartum workouts.
I think she reposted it recently on her blog.
Perhaps that can offer some insight.

Congrats on your new baby!
Did you have a natural delivery?

What I would do is retest the 1 rep max for all the different excercises and kind of make it in to a work out and ease your way back into it. Then when you are done start STS as is with Meso 1.

I've had great success using STS to get back into shape postpartum. I started at 7 weeks pp and I am starting my final week of meso 3 tomorrow!! I am pretty much back to my pre-pregnancy body. I only have 3 more pounds to lose but since I'm breastfeeding I'm not being super restrictive with calories/eating.

I felt great after delivery with this baby so I started walking within the week of her birth and gently increased length and intensity of workouts. I used the 1RM max tests to start lifting again, arranging them as mini arm workouts several times a week and tacking on leg exercises before cardio.

I have had to make some adjustments to my recommended weight on the workout cards. I don't know if that is because I had lost so much strength during pregnancy or because I didn't lift heavy enough during testing because I didn't know I could lift so much. It hasn't been a problem to make adjustments as the program continues.

Good luck!

Thanks. This is really great advice. I had not thought to retest my 1RM. I was just going to wing it, but maybe I will retest.

I did have a natural delivery, with no epidural/drugs, and no tear or episiotomy.

I have had a lot of issues with breast infections/mastitis and I am waiting for this to clear up before I start working out again. But, I really want to do STS!!

I've had great success using STS to get back into shape postpartum. I started at 7 weeks pp and I am starting my final week of meso 3 tomorrow!! I am pretty much back to my pre-pregnancy body. I only have 3 more pounds to lose but since I'm breastfeeding I'm not being super restrictive with calories/eating.

I felt great after delivery with this baby so I started walking within the week of her birth and gently increased length and intensity of workouts. I used the 1RM max tests to start lifting again, arranging them as mini arm workouts several times a week and tacking on leg exercises before cardio.

I have had to make some adjustments to my recommended weight on the workout cards. I don't know if that is because I had lost so much strength during pregnancy or because I didn't lift heavy enough during testing because I didn't know I could lift so much. It hasn't been a problem to make adjustments as the program continues.

Good luck!

Congrats to you! I am a long way from my pre-preg body!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.