Star system: not so much

Aquajock

Cathlete
Am I the only one who finds this business of assigning one to five stars to a thread at best meaningless and at worst tiresome and arbitrary? Yes, yes, I know, if I don't like it I just shouldn't look at them, but still . . . every now and then I read a thread title and see one star next to it, and think, "Hmmmm . . ."

Thoughts? Any chance of dispensing with this feature if Catheletes overall don't care for it?

A-Jock

before it didn't phase me but when i see good threads getting low star ratings then it makes me mad b/c it just shows the level(or lack of) maturity for whoever is doing it. its funny all the flame war threads have 4 or 5 stars but somebody asks a good question(whether its one we have heard before a good question is one sincerely asked) it its a 1-2 star rating. speak volumes to the new ppl on the boards that legitimate non-flame war threads seemed un-welcome. personally its starting to get on my nerves but i try my best to ignore it or at least give it a few more stars ;)

kassia

Am I the only one who finds this business of assigning one to five stars to a thread at best meaningless and at worst tiresome and arbitrary? Yes, yes, I know, if I don't like it I just shouldn't look at them, but still . . . every now and then I read a thread title and see one star next to it, and think, "Hmmmm . . ."

Thoughts? Any chance of dispensing with this feature if Catheletes overall don't care for it?

A-Jock

You are NOT alone!!!!! I detest that feature (even though I never use it) It's useless, and I really believe it's become a way to down some people. I personally won't have anything to do with it. Time for it to go!!!!!

ellie

A-Jock

I'm in favor of ditching it, if it's technically possible. It adds no value to the forums.

There have been a few threads wondering about this, and asking SNM to disable it.

As you say, it's useless at best, and mean-spirited at worst.

I really don't see the need for it at all.

I agree that it is an unnecessary feature and a negative distraction at best in the Q& A threads. The only place I could see it being useful is in the recipe section maybe? Nice to know if something seems yummy to everyone or book , DVD and movie reviews .

I never really look at it and if I do I don't pay any attention. Sometimes I wonder why so few or so many stars. I actually haven't got a clue as to its purpose. Definitely ditch it.

I've seen this rating system used on other fora around the Internet and when used well, it's actually quite useful. Once the novelty wears off, hopefully it will be used to highlight threads that contain useful information and particularly inspirational stories.

I never really knew what the meaning or purpose of the stars were! I don't even know how to give a star(s)...what teh heck is it???

There or not ,I really don't pay attention to it.

I'll throw in a vote for SNM to remove it, it has proven to be useless and provokes negative feelings as it certainly is not being used as intended.

Myself, I ignore the star rating completely and read the threads that interest me by title first, then I read just about all the rest! You never know what kind of cool or interesting information you might pick up!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.