Slow and heavy woes.......

B

barbie

Hey I'm new to Cathe's videos and I have just fallen in love with them.....head over heels. Anyway I'm having a little trouble with the S&H legs and shoulder video. The past two times I've done the video I get black spots in me vision like when you're about to pass out.....after I'm done with the sets and have just put my weight down. So when I put the barbell down after doing the set..... I have no idea why this is happening. I don't feel like I'm working too hard or anything. If you know of any reason why this would be happening, I'd love to know!! Thanks Rhiannon

This kinda happens to me at the end of the sit and stands in PS Legs. I know it's coming, so I'm careful not to hold my breath at all, breathe deeply and put the weight down as quickly as I safely can. Then I breathe deeply a few times and it passes. I hope this is helpful.

Rhiannon: I am bumping your post because that is exactly what happened to me on the same workout!!!! I posted the question under Breathing and Stretching ?. Bobbie and Donna (getnfit@38) reminded me to pay careful attention to my breathing, breath fully in and out, and DON'T hold my breath. It has worked for me so far. I hope it helps you too, and I hope to see some other responses on this!

Katie

Hello again! I tried the breathing thing and I'm sorry to say it didn't work, I am still getting the black spots. I did MIS yesterday (and am very sore today!!) and got the black spots again! If anyone else has any other ideas why this would be happening please let me know!!!

Hello, I'm just writing because I did MIS yesterday and really focused on breathing and I am still getting the black spots in my vision after putting down the weight. If anyone had any other suggestions I'd really welcome them. Once during the video I had to stop the tape and walk around awhile before the weird feeling went away. It is kinda annoying to have this when I'm trying to work my buns off!!!!! Anyway, suggestions are welcome!!!

Maybe your blood pressure is really low. If so, you could try a strong cup of coffee just before your workout to bring it up. And add more salt to your diet. But don't try this unless your blood pressure is low!

When I was anemic (very, VERY heavy periods), this happened to me a lot. I was fine after this issue was resolved and I started taking iron.

Very good point. Maybe also B-12 and protein to build blood, and of course, make sure you are not dehydrated.

I've also experienced this. It seems that when I have been straining and then sit up/stand up quickly I get that way. I workout on an empty stomach and thought maybe it had something to do with that. Do you guys eat before working out?

I only hydrate with a big glass of water before working out at 6 A.M. I do cardio from CTX before Slow and Heavy, then drink another big glass of water before SH and then sip water between lifting on SH. Is it sitting up from doing the chest work or the pullovers on the back that causes this for you? If so, you might try putting the weights off to the side and then rolling to one side slightly before sitting up. When I was pregnant, this is how my doctor told me to get out of bed when I complained of feeling dizzy in the morning (obviously not with wts.!). There are also some medications (e.g., minocin for acne) that can make you a bit dizzy. Best bets, though, are low blood pressure and/or anemia if this is a chronic problem and your health is otherwise good.

Hello again, and thanks for the great ideas! I'm not anemic though by blood pressure is low I don't know if it's low enough to cause a problem, I'll give it a check. My question is about eating and drinking before working out. If I want to workout at 3pm I can't eat or drink after lunch at 12(noon) I'm talking not even a sip of water....or I'll get a major side stitch. So the dehydration thing might be the problem but I can't drink!!! So....does anyone else have this problem? And if so what to do about it???? Thanks again! Rhiannon

Many people stop getting side stitches as they get used to the workouts. I would drink the water anyway, and just expect the stitches to go away, but if they are intolerable I guess this is not an option.

Hi! I don't ever get a side stich unless I drink or eat before or during the workout. Does anyone have any idea why this is? I always hear the instructor on any video say to take sips of water through
the workout, but I've never been able to do this and I think it is starting the affect my workout. Thanks, Rhiannon

Hello,
I think you should see a doctor. Nobody should experience black spots in front of your eyes. It could be your blood pressure or a vasovagal response from bearing down when your working out. You should see from your doctor if you are sensitive to this. A respirologist I work with says he sees spots when he shaves (pressing on a certain spot on his neck). The vagus nerve affects you all the way down to your abdomen. You might be more sensitive then most people. Dehydration could also affect you in this way. Hydrate yourself 2 hours before you work out and during your workout. Have a doc check you out
Sharon

>When I was anemic (very, VERY heavy periods), this happened
>to me a lot. I was fine after this issue was resolved and I
>started taking iron.
>
Hi, I was doing a search on anemia and I found your statement. I was just diagnosed with anemia on Monday, March 28, 2005. I was shocked. After the doctor asked me if I had been having heavy periods I realized what was going on. Last year I got an IUD to prevent pregnancy and since then have had super HEAVY periods. I am now taking vitamins and iron supplements but was wondering now how long I have to wait to feel better or when would it be safe to work out again. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks ,

Yolanda

Barbie,
One suggest for you is to stay with the "slow" theme, even when putting down and lifting the weights. What you are experiencing, like other posters have suggested, is probably blood pressure related, but it can happen to anyone, even if you don't have blood pressure problems. The issue is when you exert yourself, then suddenly bend over to put down the weights, and then stand up again. You would likely experience something similar if you did cardio or anything that elevates your heart rate and then you lie down to do floor work. The shift in your body's elevation (particularly the upper portion of your body, where your heart is is) causes a sudden change in how your heart is pumping (that's not a clear explanation, but I can't think of how else to explain it). When you've completed a series, hold the weights at your thighs for a moment, then slowly lower the weight by squatting, keeping your upper body up, rather than bending over to set the weights down. Then raise up the same way. Then wait a moment before you move on to the next series. I used to experience this a lot and this helped me. Of course, make sure you are drinking lots of water - before and during your workout. A visit to the doctor to ensure you don't have any underlying issues doesn't hurt either.

Go see your doctor and tell him exactly what you told us. Also, make sure your weight is not resting on your carotid artery which are on either side of your neck.

Marla

You may also want to keep an eye on your neck, you might have a pinched nerve that when using the weights in a certain positon puts presure on that vetebra, this will cause you to get black spots and pass out, or close to it. I had that problem a few years ago, just I actually did pass out one time. Luckly, I was putting a set of dumbells down and went down on my butt instead of forward.

I went to my chiropractor, he he took about 5 minutes and fixed the problem and never had any black spots since. I know some people don't like the idea of a chiropractor, but they do have to go threw med school, and then have to to to chiropractor school, so it isn't just something anyone walking past you can do. If you decide to try this route, ask around, as like medical doctors there are some good ones and bad ones. Mostly because they don't listen and think they *know*. There are also different schools, so just because you don't like one method doesn't mean you won't like one that does something completely different. It's just a trial and error thing, kind of like workouts on video, and you have to bounce from one to another until you find Cathe.
Getting adjusted doesn't hurt, it's just like poping your knuckles, more noise then anything. You maybe a little sore the next morning, it depends on how out you were and for how long. As your muscles were use to you being crooked and now they got to re-adjust to you being normal again. And they sometimes fuss about having to move back into position. But the soreness isn't anymore then having a good tough workout, and having the soreness the next morning when you get out of bed.

But back to your neck, do check your head and neck out, make sure those muscles are not tightening too much. Just simply tighting up the neck muscles really really tight can cause you to have black spots, get close to passing out. And this can be caused by including the neck muscles too much, and allowing them to sub for the shoulders, or the muscles might be weak that are near the nap of the skull and run down into the neck.

But if I were you, my first thing would be to get checked out by a chiropractor and see if it's a pinched nerve in your neck. Then go down the line. It's the quickest and easiest to fix, as medical doctors won't be able to treat it, they'll just tell you not to workout and run a bunch of nasty tests that will tell you, your prefecctly okay. And then they'll run more tests, and they'll never really see the problem, but you get to spend a lot of money to find out your normal. I did that, and I was so mad, I spend a lot of money and time, as well as pain as some of those tests are not nice, to be told I was okay and still had the problem and all it took was $40 to fix it and never have the problem again.

Good luck, do get it check as that can be come a very dangerous problem.

Kit

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.