Side lunges on S & H Legs and Shoulders question

khuynh

Cathlete
Cathe and others . . .

I'm not sure if I'm doing the side lunges correctly. I don't really feel anything in my inner thighs. I feel a little bit on my outer thighs, but not much. I use a 15 lb. dumbbell while doing this. My inner thighs have always been weak and hard to isolate. I've taken up running and my inner thighs have responded nicely.

I'd like some advice or tips on how I can isolate that inner thigh during those side lunges. Where am I suppose to feel the muscle, on the straight leg or the leg that I'm bending? On the bent leg, my quad feels it more than my inner or outer thighs? What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Keta. :D

Hi Keta!;)

I'll start with the usual "I'm not Cathe" disclaimer...:) But a couple things come to mind: do you step out wide enough to sufficiently stretch your working leg without over-stretching it? Are you shoulders pulled back and is your upper body upright, or close to it? (In other words, make sure you're not leaning forward too much. A mirror might help with that.) Also, do you reaaallly push up mostly through your heel when coming back into the upright position, without putting too much pressure on the front of your foot or your toes? And as always, make sure your knee doesn't go past your front toe, of course. Just some thoughts. Hopefully Cathe will "weigh in"--including correcting me if I'm wrong on any of these form pointers.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.