Shoulders Popping....

kalee

I've been working out at an intermediate level for about 2-3 years now, and I just bumped up to "Cathe's KICK BUTT level" (I LOVE IT! I love this website too! You're amazing, Cathe!) :D

My question/concern is that when I do certain excerises my shoulders pop. They have done it for as long as I remember and on one of your tapes you mention the "pops". I was wondering if they were normal. They don't hurt but sound awful! I really try to watch my form and even have lowered my weights, but I still pop! I pop the most on any type of overhead shoulder press, but I also pop on bicycle crunches. Should I worry or modify the movements? My muscles seem to be able to handle the weight. :-/

Hi Kalee, not Cathe, but my right shoulder pops whenever I do a shoulder press or a lateral raise. My right hip pops when doing knee chambers or roundhouse kicks. My right ankle pops for every step I take DOWN a staircase. My whole right side likes to pop. Never hurts, always pops. I talked to my doctor about it. I have a high right hip (a half inch higher than the left). My doctor said I will always pop and as long as there is no pain, I should be okay. I just have to train my left side harder to keep up with the right and she gave me pointers how to do that.

Perhaps talk it up with your doctor? Hope you find out what makes you pop!

Not Cathe obviously -- my shoulders pop but more annoying it feels like something is rubbing when I bring my arm back. The doc and PT people said its because my muscles in my shoulders were very lax and the bone was literally moving around. So, they told me I had to start strengthening my smaller shoulder muscles. That external rotation thing with the band that you see in LIC or in the GS one is an excellent exercise to strengthen the rotator cuff and that was definitely one of my weaker muscles. HTH.

For a shoulder press, I believe you could move to a wide angle front raise instead, only lifting to the sternum, and get the same results without the popping. I could be wrong, though, so please correct me if so.

Thanks ya'll! I think I will go to the doctor about it, but I'm glad it probably isn't serious and I'm not very weird :) Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.