shoulder 'retraction' in S&H?

nancyp

Hi Cathe or others! I would like some more specific descriptions on where the shoulders should be positioned or what they should feel like when they are retracted for S&H series. Is is like a shrug, a pulling of the shoulderblades together, or some other description that might help me 'get it'? I'm not sure I'm doing it right, for instance in the rear delt raise move, I felt it as much in my triceps as in my shoulders. Any form advice is much appreciated from the educated crowd :). Thanks!
Nancy

Hi, Nancy! You hit the nail on the head yourself when you wrote "a pulling of the shoulder blades together". Picture a shrug as bringing your shoulders UP to meet your earlobes - THAT is what you want to avoid; instead focus on gently pulling shoulder blades together.

Annette

"Super hero"

Nancy,
I find that a good image to use when I think of shoulder retraction as the posture Wonder Woman or Superman are in when standing straight with their fists on their waist. Roll the shoulders back and down, without arching the back.

RE: "Super hero"

Thanks so much for the replies, I will try out the suggestions next time I use the workout! (Kathryn, I wondered if you would respond to this one, I always think of you as 'shoulder advice gal :)' with great suggestions for avoiding injury. Thanks again.
nancy

Hi everyone, good advice. I have done the S&H tapes twice now and am having a problem knowing for sure if I am doing that retraction right. I don't have a mirror to use. Is there any sure fire way to know if you are doing it correctly? I find it especially hard when doing chest work on the bench. Thanks Mary

RE: "Super hero"

Great description, Kathryn! That how we all feel after we've completed Bodymax.....like Wonderwoman!!!!!

Thanks Kathryn

I remembered this post but not the Wonder Woman tip. I received the S&H DVD's this week & am working through them. Thought I'd pull it to the top in case any one else is unsure about the shoulder retraction.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.