short, med long runs and IS?

rachel3

Cathlete
Hey Cathe!
This year I am trying out a new running routine recommended to me by a prof who also taught women's track. He said that one short, one medium and one long run a week was optimum. When I first started running 2 years ago I was doing 2 miles, then 3, then 3.5, now I am up to 4.5 miles a run. My runs are in my neighborhood which is very hilly. My butt and legs really feel it after a 4.5 mile run. I also enjoy all of your videos and at present am addicted to the intensity series. I try to do abs sometimes after a run. The day after a 4.5 mile run most leg work is hard. I never do the lower body pyramid on that day. So, my question is how can I rotate the IS and incorporate some of the ideas about running training suggested by my friend? I note that IS is premised on the notation of lighter or easier days and then harder heavier days etc..
My goal is to lean out.
Thanks and sorry to ramble.
Rachel

You might try doing your lower body work the day before or after your short run. You may need to lighten your weights if you feel you just can't do it.

Andrea

That is a good idea. I don't even think about any heavy legs after my long run. I wonder if imax2 would equate to a medium run, cardio and weights to a short one etc.?

Just curious, why is a short, med, long run optimal? Are you supposed to do the short run at a faster pace? Do you do 4.5 miles at each run but just do it faster (to make it shorter) or is the distance actually shorter?

I think it is good to very intensity, speed, length etc.. That way your body doesn't get to used to things and you are less prone to injury, I think. I am supposed to run the short run one day-like 2 miles or so, the medium another, the long one right now is 4.5. I am really liking the longer run though. I just love being outside. As to speed, I haven't increased that too much yet but it seems like I could run that 2 mile run in no time if I wanted to. I wondered where to put in interval training etc.. especially since I run up a lot of hills.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.