SELF Mag: Weights First, Then Cardio

Bettypcw

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Just this morning I read in the June 2007 issue of Self magazine that more fat is burned if weights are done before cardio, so I'd like to request you please include weights-first premixes in your future productions.

I've never done weights first, so I searched and found a workout in the SB/SJP premix. I found that I could actually do the squats (well, for the most part)! Using this approach sure mixed it up for my body.

Thanks for your consideration. And I really think you're a Wonder Woman.

Betty:)

Hi Betty!

I mentioned this concept about doing muscular work before cardio a week ago and most people had never heard of this.

Neither had I until I read this.

I may try this approach just to shake things up a bit.

I subscribe to a lot of magazines and could not remember where I read it.

I meant to get back to this forum about this, but then I forgot.

There are so many premixes that if a person wants to take the weights befoe cardio approach, it can easily be done with Cathe's existing DVDs.

Cheers!

Amy

I, too, have also heard of this. The theory is that if you lift weights first, you'll be able to lift heavier. If you do cardio first, you'll have exerted most of your energy and won't have as much left to lift heavy.

the reason for this is b/c you burn up your glycogen stores during the weights and then after you tap into your fat stores for energy b/c you already used you glycogen up during weights. i have been doing this for years and have seen good results.

Are you able to do your cardio after a heavy leg day? I tried doing B&G then a run- it wasn't going to happen. Perhaps a less intense leg workout or doing upper body before cardio.

I have a long history in exercise...as do most of you:) My personal opinion on this is, do what works for you. I've always done cardio first when I've done cardio/weights on the same day. I never noticed a difference in the amount of weight I lifted! When I do weights first, I feel my muscles are 'drained' from lifting, that I can't go as long or maintain proper form with the cardio I choose. Also, I've absolutely noticed my best results from 3-4 days lifting only & the rest cardio only, with some circuit days mixed in:)

Does anyone else agree??

Have fun!! :7

If I do weights and cardio on the same day (rarely), then I split them up usually doing cardio in a.m. and weights at night. I have seen better results when I stick to cardio on one day and weights on another like you said. I also do 10-15 minutes cardio before any weight work so that my muscles are really good and warm (especially legs).

I'm hoping that the 4-day split workouts (which are planned as cardio-then-weights) will have quick options for weights-then-cardio (of course starting with a warm-up...maybe a special warm-up included just for that option? Like bonus footage was included in some of the premixes on the latest set of DVD's? ;-) )

>I'm hoping that the 4-day split workouts (which are planned
>as cardio-then-weights) will have quick options for
>weights-then-cardio (of course starting with a warm-up...maybe
>a special warm-up included just for that option? Like bonus
>footage was included in some of the premixes on the latest set
>of DVD's? ;-) )

Oh Kathryn I love that idea. I just cannot do wts after a cardio. Well at least not give it my all.

Catherine http://www.smileyhut.com/silly/arrowhead.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=14665913&uid=7769645&members=1

http://69.89.25.157/~extremf4/forums/images/smilies/chinup.gif

i believe it also depends on your goals. if you are working on strength and building muscle, i would do weights first when your fresh and have no fatigue. If you are working on building endurance lets say either for health purposes or training for something then i would do cardio first. in a perfect world i would do cardio in the morning and weights in the evenings but i have to either do them on opposite days or combine them. like the one poster said do what works best and feels best for you. this one little thing is not going to make or break your workout regimen. good luck

When it comes to lasting weight loss and body shaping weights are more important than cardio (or so I read). Many of the fitness models and competitors in magazines like Oxygen do very little cardio at all. For me I would rather exert most of my energy on weight training and do 30-45 minutes of cardio after a heavy weight workout or on heavy leg day I don't do cardio at all.
Like somebody posted earlier we are all different and we have to train in the way that our body is most comfortable with and in a way that is going to help us stick to our program. That takes some time and effort on our part but in the end it is well worth it.

Hi Betty and All,

This is a fascinating subject which leaves one thinking that we are all doing it wrong. As for running or runners alike it was mentioned in Runnners World that doing your weights first then run or cardio gives you an idea of what it feels like to run a race. As mentioned above if you do your heavy leg work first then try to run it just doesn't feel right. On these days I do upper body workouts then run. I save leg work for the days I just want to do a fun cardio workout first. It works for me. As far as fat loss it works for that too.
Everyone is different do what is best for you.

Love every minute of the new rotation for June 07!

Happy Trails

Sincerely,

OBVIOUSLY not Cathe :) but just have to chime in and agree that it really depends on your goals. I always do cardio because that is how I keep my heart in shape! Since I have a new case of achilles tendonitis I am concerned about that and just read that in this case cardio should be done b4 weights. The idea is that the weight work exhausts that muscles so that when the cardio is done, they are less able to protect the achilles tendon.
http://www.achillestendon.com/PreventingInjuries.html

>I'm hoping that the 4-day split workouts (which are planned
>as cardio-then-weights) will have quick options for
>weights-then-cardio (of course starting with a warm-up...maybe
>a special warm-up included just for that option? Like bonus
>footage was included in some of the premixes on the latest set
>of DVD's? ;-) )

Nice. I like this idea as well. This option would be great!
Angela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.