S/H One body part at a time

C

cybersis

Dear Cathe:

Just a quick question about the slow and heavy series. I like to do cardio everyday but don't have a lot of time each day.

I have been doing a cardio workout ( one of you step workouts or the kickboxing) and then doing just one section of the slow and heavy series. I do all body parts in a week. I have one rest day and then do an all over workout like Body Max or Power Hour.

Will this be as effective as working weights all in one day. Cardio always starts my day on a high note.

Thanks

Hi Cybersis, I'm not Cathe, but I know in her CTX tapes she says to do at least 3 of them/wk. If you don't have these tapes, they have a short but very effective and intense segment of Cardio, then a short effective wt. training segment. I have also read this in my fitness magazines. These 3 cardio workouts could be 30 minutes long, are you sure you can't fit this in through out your day? :-hmmm I've been doing my wt. training in the morning and cardio after work 3-4 x's/wk and it's working, well, I have to control my eating, but I know I've been in top physical condition, so I can do it again.
You should try it.

Hey Cybersis, I also was wondering the same thing before I broke my ankle, but never got around to posting it. Thanks for asking it. I hope Cathe responds. There are also a couple of questions I would like to add, hope you don't mind. I would think it would be fine to do cardio and then lift weights focusing on one area per day. For example, run for 45-60 minutes then pop in one of Cathe's S/H series tapes and just do the shoulders, then the next day just do the leg... and so on, but would it matter what muscle group you worked the day before or should you do them in
a specific order? Also, would I still needed to do the warm-up that goes with the work out or would the cardio I did before be fine? Would I still get the same responce from my muscles this way as I would if I were to lift weights, using the entire S/H tape (for ex: S/H - leg AND shoulders) on days when I do no cardio? Thanks crystal

Hi, Cybersis!

I am not Cathe but it sounds like a great way to do it if you are pressed for time. Slow/Heavy works opposing muscle groups which probably gives doing the groups together a slight boost but overall, it seems like an excellent method.
I am finishing my third week of Slow/Heavy which I usually do on my running days because I also like to do 5 to 6 days of cardio. I rise an hour before my kids to run then strength train after they go to school. Lately, it's been hard to get up for my run though because it's dark and cold and I have been fretting because two consecutive hours of working out is hard to do. I think I might try it your way the next time I work S/H into my rotation!

Bobbi

Hi Cybersis! Yes, you can do cardio followed by just one body part of the slow heavy tapes per day. Unlike the PS tape series, the slow heavy tapes work opposing muscle groups on each tape you don't have to worry about doing both body parts back to back. The PS tapes are different. They are grouped in a way in which the exercises for one body part also recruit muscles that will be used in the body part right after it. So for PS tapes, I would NOT recommend splitting them up.

Have "fun"!

Hi Crystalh! Hope your ankle is feeling better. The order would matter if you are going to be working the body parts on consecutive days. If this is the case, try not to work chest, shoulders, or triceps consecutively. Also try not to work back and biceps consecutively.

You would not need to do the warm up provided on the weight training tapes if you have done a cardio workout prior to it.

You can divide the body parts of the slow heavy tapes and still get optimal results. Simply be aware that doing cardio before a weight training session sometimes depletes your muscles of their fuel to focus and perform. So if specific strength gains are your goal, I would consider doing the weights before the cardio. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.