running and weights

fitharp

Cathlete
I am wanting to run every day for the month of June. About 45 minutes each day. I would also like to include a little bit of weights each day. I was thinking a body part a day but I only have time to do about 20 minutes worth since I will also be running each day. I would like to use your weight workouts as i think they are the best out there but am not sure which ones would be the best for just 20 minutes. I was thinking the Cross Train Xpress series but was wondering if you had any other suggestions. Also, how many days do you think i should include Abs and which would be the best. My abs are really weak! Thank you for all your work and sharing your knowledge.
Michele

Hi Michele! I think its wonderful how motivated you are to want to work so hard. I really do. But it wouldn't be right if I didn't tell you honestly that I don't think you will get your best results by running every day. The body responds best to various forms of activity vs the same one repetitively. Reason being that your body will adapt to the running since it will be doing it on a daily basis. Once it is comfy in this routine and predicts what's coming, your results will slow down. By running everyday you are also putting yourself at a great risk for overuse and overtraining injuries, from not only from doing the SAME exact activity but from doing this activity seven days a week. Running is also a high impact sport and to keep your workouts safe and effective, you should vary your impact levels from high to low over the course of the week to keep your body performing more optimally overall.

I think two to three times a week (no more than 4 times a week) are plenty to keep your abs fit and responsive. Coremax has three routines that will work well. You can also use my ab workouts on any of my other DVD's.

CTX will do well for your shortened weight workouts and you can even substitute some of the cardio workouts in it for some of your running workouts for better variety.

Good Luck Michele!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.