Running and Stepping

acrochris

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

First off, I love your videos. You push me harder than I thought I could ever work. You are such an inspiration.

Anyway, I am runner who puts in about 20-25 miles a week. I used to put in 40, but an injury had me sidelined for 8 months so I am slowly getting back into it. I also incorporate your videos into my workouts too. I make sure I do IMAX once a week and I throw in either Cardio Kicks or Body Max too along with running 4-5 days a week. I also use your strength tapes. I am just wondering is this too much? I just want to make sure I don't stress my body too much. I thought my body could take a lot of intense excersise until I got my stress fractures.

I usually do IMAX on Mon., Tue. 1 hr. run, Wed., 40 min run and power drills Cardio kicks, Thurs. Body Max plus 2 mile run, Fri. 30 min run, Sat 70-80 min run, Sun. rest. I am planning to build my mileage up slowly over the year so I can be in good racing shape next season. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. I love to run, but I can't give up your tapes either.

Thanks so much!
Christine

Christine,

I am not Cathe. I am Bobbi. Hi! First of all, I'd like to say WOW! And secondly, good for you! How do you feel? Are you strong and vital? There are symptoms of overtraining. Increased heartrate, tiredness. If you experience any of them, it's a sign to slow down. If you don't, more power to you!

I too am a runner (although, I have been on hiatus for awhile). I think crosstraining with Cathe's tapes is great as long as you wear the correct footwear and take all the precautions.

I have bad feet. I wear orthotics for running. I modify Cathe's tapes somewhat by eliminating some jumping but not too much because it detracts from the workouts.

Forgive me for butting in with my two cents worth, but you should be proud of your ability. I am impressed. I love this website. There are so many inspirational people not the least of which is Cathe herself!!

Hi Bobbi!

You are so sweet. Thank you!

I have been pretty tired lately, but I listen to my body more. Such as, I will go out for a 6 mile run, but if I am tired at 4, I will stop there. It took awhile to get there, but after my injury, I really listen when my body says I am pooped. I still push myself, sometimes too much, but I have relaxed some. I never really check my heart rate, but perhaps I should. I used to have such insomnia, but that since has gone away. Some days I just feel really sluggish, but soon as I start working out I feel better.

I hope you will be able to run again. I too used to wear orthotics, but I think they caused me more harm than good. I do put Dr. Scholls cushioned inserts and they work for me nicely. I did gain quite a bit of weight during my injury (some muscle, some fat) and I am really trying to work it off.

Good luck to you and thanks for the advice.
Christine

RE: Hi Bobbi!

Hi Christine! As long as you continue to listen to your body and cut back and/or stop when you feel tired or achy you should be alright. But some of the symptoms that you have mentioned (anxiety, sluggishness, insomnia) are also symptoms of overtraining so to play it safe, you may just want to take a few days(or even a week)off at this point to simply let your body rest. Be sure to get plenty of fluids too as lack of liquids in your body will contribute to feeling lethargic. This could be all it takes to restore your energy. But if you are still feeling this way after a break, I would see your doctor to see if perhaps maybe you have a bug in your system that your body is fighting. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.