Rotation question: Should I?

Bobbi

Cathlete
I am what you might call an open-ended exerciser. I don't follow a set plan when it comes to working out. My question is this: Regarding weight training, is it more beneficial to repeat the same workout during a week and to repeat it for many weeks? Will I get different results if I do two different workouts during the week?

I guess I could ask, if I wanted to begin a rotation, what's the best way? I have MIS, CTX, PS, S&H, and PH (also Bodymax). I know the rotation duration varies, so I'd probably start with a relatively short time span??

It's been on my mind that I should do a rotation but I don't know where to begin! All suggesions are welcome!

B:)bbi

Hi Bobbi! This answer relies heavily on what your goals are. Any time you do any form of exercise that presents a challenge to your muscles, regarless of what it is, it is doing something. Now based on what your specific goals are, you can fine tune a workout plan to help your reach these goals in a more effective manner.

But to leave you with some suggestions based on the videos you have listed, if your primary goal is develop strength then I would suggest doing the PS Series one time each per week for 8 to 12 weeks.

Then I would do the slow and heavy series one time each per week for three weeks to continue with your strength goals.

Then I would do the PS Series one time per week plus MIS during that same week once(total 4 weight workouts)for a period of three weeks.

That is just one journey to help you with strength goals. There are others too.

If your primary goal is to develop muscular endurance, I would do Pour Hour two to three times per week for a period of 4 weeks.

Then I would do MIS two times and Power Hour one time per week for four weeks.

Then I would do Power Hour two times and MIS one time per week for four weeks.

Then I would do the CTX workout series (substituting some lower impact cardio if needed) for four weeks.

Then I would do two Bodymax workouts and one Power Hour workout per week for four weeks.

Again, this is just one journey to work on developing and improving muscular endurance.

Good Luck!

Cathe, ( I'm butting in ;-) )
You are so great to share your knowledge with us! As usual, I am saving your post--I don't think there are enough weeks in my life to do all the rotations you have suggested, but at least we have some great options!
Thanks again,
Wendy

Dear Cathe,

I am so delighted that you answered me! I know your guys have been ill and I hope they are recovered and you are well also! I would like to offer congratulations on your pregnancy.
http://www.plaudersmilies.de/love/ylinfant.gif
I will happily follow your rotation suggestions. I have been doing PH and MIS twice per week, sort of working up to the other ones. I am a trifle intimidated by PS and S&H! I have been rather sporadic about exercise for awhile but I feel ready to get and stay really consistant. Usually, my goal consists of thinking I would like to be in the best shape possible, which is not a particularly solid goal. Strength then, is my first goal, followed by endurance which actually comes easily to me. I will use your suggestions because as far as I am concerned you are an amazing teacher, who is in awesome shape! I am a huge fan and I thank you for your response!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

I've been reading some past posts, and I really think this is an incredibly informative thread in regard to the various rotations. Thought I'd bump to the top for those needing rotation suggestions! (I'm saving this one in a file)

Bobbi, Thanks for a great question!

And Cathe, your answer is so helpful! Of course I had to save it. Thank you for taking time out to answer so completely:)

I do have two more questions, for any experienced Cathe people:
1) For the muscular endurance rotation, how many cardio workouts per week is optimal?

2) Is it OK to do Circuit Max the day before or after PH or do those muscles need a break from weight lifting?

Hi, Likes2befit!

To answer your second question first. You should put a day in between Circuit Max and PH since CM is a strength training video as well as a cardiovascular workout. Your muscles will thank you for it!

As for question number one. I am not sure. For myself, I love how cardio makes me feel and I do cardio at least 5 times per week. I do know that overdoing cardio can have an adverse effect on your endurance levels. I am careful to eat to fuel my workouts so that my cardio doesn't impinge on my strength gains. I think alot of it depends on your body type. I do not gain muscle easily so I figure what the heck, I love cardio, I'll do alot! I have more endurance than I have strength but it's mostly because I am designed that way. Actually, thinking about it, it stands to reason cardio would enhance endurance. Cardio is endurance training for my favorite muscle, the heart!

I hope Cathe will chime in on this with a more difinitive answer and thanks for allowing me to mull this over! I hope I haven't confused you with my rambling thoughts!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Thanks for answering Bobbi. Putting a day inbtween Circuit Max and PH is what I did. I don't think I could have completed Ph the next day any way!

I've settled on 4 days cardio, primarily because two days are PH, one is CM and the other 3 are cardio. That leaves one day to rest. I only have 60-75" to workout per day, so no cardio will be added on PH days.

One more question. To incorporate the above into a LBS rotation, I would add floor legs on cardio days. Would that be over doing the legs, and not allow for recovery time?
all things in moderation :)

Floor work shouldn't impede your recovery since standing leg work primarily works quads, hamstrings and glutes. Do you think you need to add floor work to all three cardio days? You'll know if you are overdoing it. If you get too tired, too sore or your heart rate becomes elevated and you can't sleep--all are signs of over training. I bought a Pilates ring and it gives a great inner thigh workout which I do with some core training. I am enjoying it alot. I always plan out my workout week but nothing is ever written in stone and I adjust according to how I feel. Listen to your body and have fun!:)

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Thanks Bobbi. I haven't tried the extra legs this week; I don't know if I will now. I play tennis two days a week in addition to the 6 workouts. The tennis might be enough, since on those days I am exhausted by the time 8:30 rolls around!

Take time to enjoy those who matter most to you & do all things in moderation :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.