Rotation for Body Building

janiejoey

Cathlete
Cathy,

Time is beginning to be limited as I age (now 60). For years I have been dreaming to take on Body Building. (will not be competing) But, I don't know how to do it. Will any of your workout DVD's produce that effect? Perhaps a certain way to manipulate the workouts to get that result? If it's possible could you get me started on a rotation? I know you are busy and perhaps that's just not possible. I'm only intermediate, need to lose weight but willing to up the stakes big time, just need to be guided there.

I have all your workouts and I just acquired a spin bike (bike will be ready for use in about a month) and already have a treadmill, turbo barre... All the equipment that you have (20# weighted vest and also acquired one with 50#'s), plus pairs of dumb bells up to 50 pounds. 26 risers, 2 slanted risers and 4 step tops and 2 high riser tops even a punching bag and gloves. I'm so ready and my desire is off the charts. I'm retired (have lots of time on my hands) and my goal is in two years to look close to a body builder. Hope that's realistic. If it takes longer so be it. Will give you updated reports if you like.

If you can't take on this task, perhaps you could point me in that direction even for pre body building, I would appreciate that so much. The nearest gym from me is about 12 miles away and would rather do this at home until I would need a gym, also I do have a husband that is willing to spot me.

Janie

Last edited:
Hi Janie! Good for you for looking for continued progress and success.

Do STS in its entirety.

Take one week off.

Do Gym Styles for one month!

Do the low impact series for two weeks.

Do Four Day Split for one month.

Do Shock Cardio Series for two weeks

Do STS Meso two and Meso three

All the while eat a super clean diet. I tweak the Paleo diet to suit my needs. But basically eat very lean lean, natural, non processed foods, lots of dark green veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, healthy fruits in small portions, fish, poultry, etc. Water, green tea are my main source of liquids. I throw in some organic 100% pure tart cherry juice for my joints and a great source of antioxidants too.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Hi Janie

What a great motivation. I would also like that kind of goal. I'm 43 and need to focus on something like a body building objective. Its always been a dream of mine. Something in the back of my head that I would love to aspire to. For a long term goal like this I would need to incorporate some form of cheat day once a week. I think for me it would take a good twelve months to achieve anything like a body building like physique. Presently I have been completely off focus after having a knee op some months ago. Also if I'm honest I have been somewhat lazy in the clean eating exercise department.

The suggestions Cathe has given sound excellent, long term and realistic. I tend to buy loads of new workouts that with the exception of Cathes never really get used. I can honestly say that Cathes workouts are the only ones I would never part with and also the only ones that have ever been really used fully.

Time to get focused and start STS again. I think a long term objective is whats needed.

Laura
x

Hi Janie! Good for you for looking for continued progress and success.

Do STS in its entirety.

Take one week off.

Do Gym Styles for one month!

Do the low impact series for two weeks.

Do Four Day Split for one month.

Do Shock Cardio Series for two weeks

Do STS Meso two and Meso three

All the while eat a super clean diet. I tweak the Paleo diet to suit my needs. But basically eat very lean lean, natural, non processed foods, lots of dark green veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, healthy fruits in small portions, fish, poultry, etc. Water, green tea are my main source of liquids. I throw in some organic 100% pure tart cherry juice for my joints and a great source of antioxidants too.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! You and this rotation has lifted my spirits and motivation up so high you just wouldn't believe it. I will be hanging on to every single word and doing my part to catch my dream.

I'm starting the rotation right now! There is no time to lose. Don't mean to have a since of urgency, but my motivation tells me to do this NOW! Paleo diet (very little tweaking) here I come, along with cherry juice and antioxidants.

Sincerely, thank you so very much.

UPDATE: There are 3 authors for Paleo diet. John Chatham, Loren Cordain and Susan Harper. Which version do you have?

Janie

Last edited:
On the weeks when you do shock cardio what about weight work? There is no weight work in this series. Do you not do weights or so weights from another series?

On the weeks when you do shock cardio what about weight work? There is no weight work in this series. Do you not do weights or so weights from another series?

I'm assuming to do Shock Cardio as she says and rest the weight work. Seems to me after all that weight work it would be time to lay off for a little while. Then get back to it with a vengeance.

Janie

Janie girl - are you talking about real body building, as in having the "look" of a body builder (I know you said you don't want to compete.) Or more like the look of a women's phisique or figure competitor? There is a HUGE difference in these looks and the approaches to get there. Some of the leaders in these "looks" are Iris Kyle (body building), Dana Linn Bailey (Physique) and Nicole Wilkins or Erin Stern (Figure).

Aside from the working out, the dietary approaches to achieving these looks is significant. I'm excited to watch as you share your results. This was a great question. Good luck.

Janie girl - are you talking about real body building, as in having the "look" of a body builder (I know you said you don't want to compete.) Or more like the look of a women's physique or figure competitor? There is a HUGE difference in these looks and the approaches to get there. Some of the leaders in these "looks" are Iris Kyle (body building), Dana Linn Bailey (Physique) and Nicole Wilkins or Erin Stern (Figure).

Aside from the working out, the dietary approaches to achieving these looks is significant. I'm excited to watch as you share your results. This was a great question. Good luck.

Lorrie, This is a suggestion for a future DVD I requested. May explain what I want to do with my 60 year old body. It looks like I'm wanting an in-between body building and women's phisique. (perhaps just a little bigger than Cathe and less bigger of the body building type. Of course I would be so satisfied with a figure like Cathe's no matter what. Right now it's a dream of mine. My body type is different from hers and my genes are too, but I think you might get the idea.) If there is a different approach for this, Please tell me or give me a link to look at. Is this desire an illusional dream? Will this really be possible to achieve? Time will tell. Maybe I should blog this.

I was impressed with a woman named Kelly Nelson. The photo below was taken in 1999 and she was 72 years old at the time. Kelly was in Body-building competitions and inspired her daughter Colleen Fisher and many others to do the same thing.

Kelly did pass at the age of 84 on October 23rd, of last year. She will be missed. Truly an inspiration for many.

008oval.jpg

Training for body building with Cathe would be awesome because I'm so familiar with her style. I am 60 and don't want to compete, of course, but would love to look somewhat like that in my 60's if I could. I'm willing to commit, I already have the desire.

I have GERD and the only thing I found to keep that in check is the Paleo Diet. My doctor prescribed meds but made me very sick each time she did that. One time (because of the meds) I ended up in the hospital. Very scary! My results thus far are remarkable! I'm losing weight using the Paleo Diet. The initial water loss is done and now losing real fat. Coming off very slowly now (sometimes only 1/2 pound a week) but it's coming off. Gaining muscle! My muscles use to be squishy (if you know what I mean) now their getting harder. It's so cool! I have a long ways to go yet, but I'm determined to get there.

I'll post every now and again, my progress in this journey. Kelly and of course Cathe will be my inspiration and the look of a very healthy body. I'm sure it wont' erase the wrinkles. LOL

Janie

Last edited:
Hi Janie,
I admire your discipline. I have been doing this rotation and start 4DS next week. I usually workout 6 days a week. When you got to 4DS did you only do the 4 days or did you add in other cardio workouts? Thanks!!

Hi Janie,
I admire your discipline. I have been doing this rotation and start 4DS next week. I usually workout 6 days a week. When you got to 4DS did you only do the 4 days or did you add in other cardio workouts? Thanks!!

I did the 4 days and on days 5 and 6 I did cardio of my choice. On day 7 I rested.

This workouts set is amazing as you will find out. Loved it, but my middle name is modify. LOL I thought until I remembered the step routines, but as it turned out, I modified right to the end. These were hard, but I love challenges. I got much better towards the end though. I still have room to grow.

Would love to see how you are doing, please keep in touch,

Janie

This thread is very helpful as I am trying to accomplish the same thing. I was wondering if the recommendation is still the same now that XTrain is out. Would that be useful in the bodybuilding rotation? I am currently on STS Mesocycle 2. Thanks!

This thread is very helpful as I am trying to accomplish the same thing. I was wondering if the recommendation is still the same now that XTrain is out. Would that be useful in the bodybuilding rotation? I am currently on STS Mesocycle 2. Thanks!

I am not cathe but hope i can answer your question.

The X-TR program relevant to bodybuilding rotation is Burnset only.
You can substitute the second meso 2 with Burnset from X-train.

For legs Cardio leg blast aka CLB and LIHI from Ripped with Hiit can be substituted.

Ps Sorry for the duplicated answered, just seen after I posted mine!

All the best,

Last edited:
For legs Cardio leg blast aka CLB and LIHI from Ripped with Hiit can be substituted

Thanks for your responses! So it sounds like I wouldn't do either Ripped with HIITs or XTrain in their entirety? I am new to Cathe's workouts and STS is my first program of hers. I have been doing Beachbody workouts for years and was doing Body Beast when I learned of STS and decided to mix things up.

Thanks for your responses! So it sounds like I wouldn't do either Ripped with HIITs or XTrain in their entirety? I am new to Cathe's workouts and STS is my first program of hers. I have been doing Beachbody workouts for years and was doing Body Beast when I learned of STS and decided to mix things up.

You are welcome:). Should you need to discuss further about STS or share anything else with us here,
do not hesitate to post;););).

Hope you like STS. It is a great program:)

All the very best,

Reviving this thread as I’d love to see if any of the newer workouts would be added or if a second rotation could be created including old and new but mostly 4DS and following with the exception of adding PUB&PLB.

Hi Everyone,

Now that STS 2.0 is shipping heading to us, how would we incorporate it to this bodybuilding rotation.

Would like to know if anyone is still doing this rotation. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.