Re-starting weight training

YasB

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-01 AT 09:33AM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-01 AT 09:32 AM (Est)[/font]

Hi Cathe & Friends,

I am resuming my workouts after a 5 month break. I have decided to first focus on endurance weight training before focusing on gaining strength.

I know that as a beginner I am making strength gains when using the endurance tapes, but how do I know when I have maximized my strength gains?

For background, these are the weight tapes that I own :
Bodymax, PS series, CTX, Circuitmax, MIS

I worked out consistently(3-4x/wk)for most of last year and was able to work up to 25-35# barbell for most leg work and 8-12# dumbells for most upper body exercises (except triceps).

Yesterday, I did MIS with 3# dumbells and a 12# bodybar.Yikes:-tired

So,How cam I judge if I am no longer making strength gains from endurance training ?
Should it be based on :
-reaching a certain weight when lifting?
-a time table like 6-8+ weeks before changing focus,or
-should I just mix both types of workouts from the start?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
YasDB

I expanded my search of topics and I found the answer to my question. I am so impressed by the quality of info. and the support on this forum.

I decided to do a 6 week rotation focusing on endurance. So,should I go ahead and buy Power Hour now or give my body some time to readjust to exercise? I'm guessing that I should be able to get back to my previous exercise level in less time than before. Muscle memory or wishful thinking?

Thanks for your help :)

YasDB

Hi YasDB!

PowerHour is just so much fun! Great music, great exercises...I highly recommend it. You can always go real light with the weights as you ease back into weight training. It's really a blast...if you ask me, I'd say go for it!

Veronica

It's not just wishful thinking, YasB! Muscles really do respond very quickly when you've had and lost them. I ordered DVD's but I am so excited about Power Hour. I get bored doing the same old thing all the time and I am ready to mix it up! Keep us posted on your progress!

Bobbi

I too am starting back up on an exercise program after a few months off. I decided to start with more of an endurance oriented rotation for both strength and cardio for about six weeks. From there I'm moving on to a PS rotation, then a CTX rotation, then a rotation using MIS and Power Hour plus various cardio and last but not least onto a Slow and Heavy rotation for four weeks. I was doing quite well and really noticing a difference in endurance by the end of the second week and then I got a darn sore throat/head cold and have missed 3 workouts. But, I'm feeling better and I'll be back at it tomorrow. My current "starter" rotation is...

-Step Fit + abs
-Body Max
-Reebok's Intense Moves + abs
-Rest Day
-Circuit Max + abs
-Rhythmic Step
-CIA's Power Bar Training

Good Luck to you, let us hear about your progress!

:) Stacy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.