Question on exhaustion

audreygayle

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I wasn't sure where to post this, here or in the other forums, so if any of the educated crowd want to jump in, I'm all ears.

I'm not new to working out, but I'm just getting back into it again. I absolutely love the new Pyramid workouts, and have been incorporating them 2x a week each with some cardio and yoga. I started this program on 3/1 and started back on WW on 3/1 as well. I've had prior success with WW and exercise and am confident that the combo will get the extra 20#'s off. :)

I'm constantly exhausted though. :( I'm not tired during a workout, or I'd know enough to stop.. but I'm falling asleep on my feet. I usually get 8 hours of sleep, and there's been no change in my sleep habits since 3/1 or I'd know what the culprit was. I feel like a slacker this week, cause Ive been too tired to workout.. Help!
Is this an adjustment phase that I just need to get thru (and how long does it last), or is there an "ease-in" program that I should be starting with?

Thanks,

~Audrey

How's your diet? Are you getting enough protein? Are you eating enough, period? Lack of nutrition--points or no points, will make you tired. Remember you get to add points back in for the intensity of your workout. Your WW leader should be able to help you with how many to add.

If you are sure your diet isn't the culprit & you seem pretty sure sleep isn't it, you may want to see your doctor for blood work. Fatique is a symptom of many blood "illnesses" (for lack of a better term), such as anemia (use phonetics--I can't spell worth a dime!).

Hope that helps.

Hi Audrey

Edited after seeing Deborah's post my experience.

Personally I found when this happened to me I had an iron defiency (this might not be the case with you) I checked with my doctor who suggested using an iron supplement which I do.

It could be that simple.

Just a suggestion.

Babs

Did you say your eating your extra activity points you get in WW? Cathe videos are advanced and intense so you get the max activity points on most of them.

If your eating those I'd say make sure your carbs are more whole grain like brown rice, quinoa, millet, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal old fashioned ect...

Edith

Hi Audrey,

The only times I have felt totally exhausted like you've described were when I switched to a progesterone based birth control method, and secondly when I was pregnant. If your diet is OK, and you're getting enough to eat, I'd check with your doctor as someone else also mentioned. Hope you're feeling more energetic soon,

Beth

Hi -

I had that same exact thing happen to me, and just today I was telling a friend that I have realized it's gone away!

I felt many days like I could just sit and sleep at work, and didn't do workouts at night b/c the one from the night before wore me out and I knew if I tried a tape, I just wouldn't be into it, as I was so tired.

I don't think I'm really doing anything differently now, possibly it's just a phase? Your body maybe needs to just get used ot it? I wish I could say I know why I am feeling better, but I can't.

It was funny though, it was just like, gosh,I have been feeling so much better lately!! Maybe it just takes a while for some people to adjust to the intensity to get the energy they say you get from workouts.

PS - I usually eat appx 1600 cal/day. I have read many things regarding calories, and I bet this is above your WW points, so maybe you do need to be eating a little more.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I *do* try to eat at the high end of my points, and I do add back in the exercise pts as well, though I seem to end each week with a few pts left in the bank. (hmm.. note to self, leave LESS in the bank). I am also quite stingy with those points, opting for the most food I can get from them (high fiber, lowe fat). And the last time on WW, I don't remember this tiredness.

~Audrey

Audrey,
You mentioned you started working out on 3/1...That is not too long ago. Whenever I take a break from working out for a month, or more then get back to it, I get tired a lot as well. Your body is not used to it. It's sort of fighting you because your body is not used to it and it does not want to get zapped out of its comfort zone. I've been there many times and it is a pain in my butt. I'd say after 2 to 4 more weeks, you will feel a lot better. Your body just needs some time to get used to it. Also, try eating more fruits and veggies regardless WW because it'll boost you up. JUst give it more time. I don't think you have blood disorder. Try eating more food with Iron and see how it goes. Try that for 2 weeks and if it doesn't work, then go to the doctor. I thought I had an anemia but my doctor said my iron level was higher than normal which is good. Try this if you want.

Lisa

Lisa, I probably wasn't too clear, though I meant to be, on the exercise. I started my current rotation on 3/1. Before that I've been exercising, not couch sitting, but my routine was more haphazzard, and not easy to remember, let alone post. I know I did 2 weeks of cardio followed by 1/2 CTX segments, but I found that doing upper body parts for 5 days straight aggrevated my shoulder injury, so I needed to re-think my weights workouts. I had liked the idea of doing 1-2 body parts per day, but since the shoulders get worked when other parts get worked, 5 days of shoulders was way too much. The pyramid workouts were great on my shoulders. I was getting in all the upperbody 2x a week as I had been attempting with 2 CTX/day, without the shoulder pain. But the fatigue started. :(

Now, not sure which is cause/effect, I'm running a slight fever today. So, I could be exhausted cause I'm not 100%, or I could be under the weather cause I'm exhausted. <sigh>.
~Audrey

Are you drinking lots of water? I know I used to be tired a lot, until I started to drink lots of water throughout the day. They say that many people are dehydrated and don't know it, and that being just partially dehydrated can affect your energy levels.

Sharon.

Sharon, thanks. :) I'm definitely getting enough water these days, as part of the reason I'm not getting enough sleep is that I have to keep getting up in the middle of the night. <g>. But yes, water is so very important and is often overlooked.
~Audrey

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.