Question about stretching

chikaygo

Hi Cathe!

I was wondering about techniques for stretching to increase flexibility. When i was in h.s. (only about 10 years ago) i used to be pretty flexible..could touch my nose to my knee, almost do the splits...that kinda thing. Now that i am back into exercising regularly i long for that kind of flexibility again. I notice when i'm stretching after a workout that if i lean forward to one leg (while sitting and stretching hamstrings) and then sit back, and then slowly move into the stretch again, i seem to be able to go a little farther each time. Is this a more effective way than just a static stretch? Is there any certain technique that is best to have good flexibility gains?

Also, i've thought about doing your stretch videos in the evening, but shouldn't a person be warmed up before stretching? I hate getting sweaty before bed and was just wondering if it was safe to do without any warm-ups before hand.

Thanks!
Kay

Hi Kay! The stretch technique that you describe is PNF, which stands for Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation and is one of the best methods for improving flexibility. However, while you can gain quite a bit of flexibility in even just one session, the drawbacks are needing a partner to get the maximal effectiveness of each stretch, and another drawback is, inviting injury if not careful. Doing PNF stretching too often or too abruptly can overstretch ligaments/tendons/joints/muscles.

In my opinion, for best overall stretches, I suggest static stretches. They are easier to do and give great results too. These are typically the stretches I do in my concluding workout stretches, (where you lean into the stretch and hold steady pressure to encourage the stretch for about 10 to 15 seconds).

Basically speaking, for a stretch to improve flexibility, it has to target a specific joint, stretch the muscle and ligaments, and be performed over a period of time to allow your muscles to adapt to the new range of motion.
When you stretch, you need to go gently and just beyond your normal range of motion, holding each stretch about 10 to 15 seconds.

To develop long-term improvements in flexibility, stretch every other day for at least six weeks. Keep in mind that when you take long periods of time off you will most likely lose your latest gains and have to work hard to get them back again.

Btw Kay, you don't have to be all sweaty in order to do a stretch routine. Just perform 5 minutes of dynamic movement with your arms and legs. Once warm, not neccessarily sweaty, you can begin your stretch workout.

Have fun!

Hi Cathe!

I was wondering about techniques for stretching to increase flexibility. When i was in h.s. (only about 10 years ago) i used to be pretty flexible..could touch my nose to my knee, almost do the splits...that kinda thing. Now that i am back into exercising regularly i long for that kind of flexibility again. I notice when i'm stretching after a workout that if i lean forward to one leg (while sitting and stretching hamstrings) and then sit back, and then slowly move into the stretch again, i seem to be able to go a little farther each time. Is this a more effective way than just a static stretch? Is there any certain technique that is best to have good flexibility gains?

Also, i've thought about doing your stretch videos in the evening, but shouldn't a person be warmed up before stretching? I hate getting sweaty before bed and was just wondering if it was safe to do without any warm-ups before hand.

Thanks!
Kay

Thanks for explaining it so thoroughly, i didn't even know there was a term for that kind of stretching! :) And if i only need a small (non-sweaty!) warm-up, i think stretches before bed will be beneficial and soothing. Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.