Question about safety of new workouts

db5

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! A quick question. In cardio and weights and boot camp you switch from high intensity cardio right into weight work. I noticed that my heart is racing and sometimes I get lightheaded when doing the weight work without calming down a little first. Is it safe to go all out cardiovascularly and then quickly move to lying down on the step for bench presses without a little calming down first? Thanks so much and I love the new series and you look fantastic!

Hi, I hope it's okay that I also post my question here as it is similar, but a bit different. I was just attempting Cardio and Weights this morning. I got past the first interval fine. At the end of the cardio segment of the second interval my heart rate monitor showed my heart rate at 159 which is okay. By the end of the weight section, though, my heart rate had fallen to 103. The problem? I literally could not make myself get into the next cardio section and I was really disappointed as it was the Elvis song and looked like so much fun. I was not tired at all, but it was like my body went into cool down mode, if that makes sense, because my heart rate was so low.

What do I do? Do I make myself get back into that cardio even though my body doesn't want to? Like I said I wasn't tired, but I felt like I needed another warmup to slowly get the heart pumping again. I hope that all made sense.

Thanks, Kelley

Hi DB5! If you get lightheaded during the transitions, then yes, take a longer break to accomdate this. I purposely put a longer break after the cardio sections and leg sections in Boot Camp for this very reason. For Cardio Weights I purposely inserted standing compound upper/lower body exercises after each cardio session (to keep the large muscle groups working at a lighter intensity) so that the transition from cardio to standing upper body work was gradual. You perhaps may just need a longer transition, and thats fine, just take that time for yourself and join us when your ready. :)

Hi Kelley! Circuit workouts do fluctuate with heart rate levels. My goal was to have you in a range from the lowest end of your training zone to the highest end of your training zone. If that did not happen for you than I suggest the following:

1) In each cycle, go all out on the cardio being explosive anywhere possible.

2) In each compound exercise, select a weight that keeps you in your training zone and be sure you are using full range of motion with both the upper and lower body movement.

3) When you get to the upper body exercise, use heavy weight. Heavy weight will spike your heart rate toward the end of the set, keeping you from going in cool down mode.

We were filming a lot of videos at once in a heated environment so my weight was lighter than what I would typically use for my own workouts. Thats why I always say....choose a weight that works for you. Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the recommendations Cathe. I'm going to try Cardio and Weights again tomorrow morning. What you said totally makes sense to me. On the first weight interval I did use heavier weights and kept my heart rate where it should be. On the second weight interval I did, however, lower my weight and it must have been too much. Tomorrow I will stick with the same weight. Thank you so much. The new workouts are definitely "intense." Kelley

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.