Question about plank work in CTX - Kickbox

Dana S.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-00 AT 09:34AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Cathe,
I rarely post but I have a question about the plank work in CTX Kickbox I haven't seen asked before. In the part where you are facing up (as opposed to face/stomach toward floor), I feel fine until I try and lift my foot off the floor. Then I feel like the knee of the leg that is still on the floor is locking, or has too much pressure on it. Is this just because I am not strong enough to do that move yet? Do you have any special form pointers or hints to get there? I don't feel that much when I keep both feet on the ground, but definitely feel it in the abs when I lift my leg. I worry though that it is too hard on my knee. Does this make sense? It's a little hard to explain.

By the way, like everyone else, I love the CTX series and am thrilled that you made it. They are perfect for me and lots of fun to boot. :)
Thanks,
Dana

I bend the knee a little bit...

Hi Dana,

I have noticed the same thing, so I bend the knee of the leg that is still on the floor, just a little bit. It seems to move the pressure from the knee to the heel. I don't know if that makes the position less effective for the abs; I hope not. Maybe Cathe can tell us if that modification is worth trying.

Sandi M.

I have this problem too but

only when I'm lifting my left leg~~then my right knee feels "pressure". Very frustrating because I'm fine when lifting my right leg. I hope Cathe (or someone) has an suggestion for this.:-hmmm
(Sorry about the other post-hit the wrong button)

[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

Here's what I do - but keep in mind this is from a yoga practioner perspective, which isn't always in line with exercise physiologist's perspectives...

Anyway, in yoga this "reverse plank" or "slide" (has an even fancier name in Sanksrit!) is done with toes pointed down to the floor - flat on the floor, if possible. For me, I find that keeping my heels on the floor with toes pointed up causes that pressure in the knee. So, if I take off my shoes and keep my toes pointed down, I don't feel any pressure when lifting the leg, and it's less stressful (but still work!) to hold the position.

Also, my yoga teacher always told us that when performing any straight-legged pose, that it was important to "grip" the femur with the quad muscle and "lift" the knee caps - kind of a difficult visualization till you get used to it, but the idea behind it is to stabilize the knee joint by contracting the quadraceps.

I don't know if western exercise physiologists (or Cathe!!) would agree with all this, so please do take this all with a grain of salt - but it seems to work for me.

Sophie

Thanks Sophie!

I'll try that next time it comes around in my rotation. Makes sense to me. :D

[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

Thanks, Sophie and Sandi

for your suggestions. I will try both of these the next time I do the tape.
Thanks again,
Dana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.